Chapter 21: Advice

“Hey Britt,” Liam opened the door wider and I stepped into the air conditioned house. “What’s up?”

“When did you say Susan’s coming home?”

“Tonight or tomorrow morning.” I followed Liam into the living room and plopped down next to him on the couch. “Why?”

“Cause I need some advice.” I twisted the friendship bracelet I always wore around my wrist. “I was hoping she could help me.”

“I can help,” Liam beamed. “Ruth says I’m a good listener and I can be helpful.”

“Umm,” I hesitated. “I was hoping to talk to another girl.”

“Ruth’s home if you want to talk to her.”

Again I hesitated. I didn’t know Ruth very much. Liam would be better to talk to than her.

“Should I sleep with Harry?” I blurted out before I could stop myself.

The smile dropped off Liam’s face and he pulled at his collar uncomfortably. “I don’t know Britt. That’s your decision.”

I dropped my head in my hands as a few frustrated tears leaked from my eyes, “Liam I don’t know what to do.”

He patted my back awkwardly, then draped his arm completely around me and pulled me in for a hug. I cried onto his shoulder for a few minutes as he made soothing noises.

When I pulled away I brushed at my eyes. “Sorry Liam.”

“It’s all right.” His brown eyes sparked with an idea, “You might not like this, but why don’t you talk to that Amelie girl Harry was with? She might know what to say.”

I thought it over. Amelie had turned out to be very nice and she was really understanding when Harry told her about us. She had told me if I ever needed to talk she would be there. I guess it was worth a shot.

I jumped up and grabbed Liam by the hand. “Great idea, let’s go get some lunch.”

“Are you sure you want me to come?” he asked as I dragged him down the hallway.

“Positive,” I pushed open his front door and burst out into the late afternoon sunlight. “You’re my only friend.”

“I am not your only friend,” he laughed. “Harry’s your friend and so are Marcus, Brad, and Riley.”

“Harry and I aren’t really friends anymore.” I felt a stab of longing in my chest. I hadn’t realized how badly dating was going to screw up our friendship. All we did was argue anymore. I was hoping sleeping with him would fix that. “And Riley hates me.”

“Please,” Liam rolled his eyes. “Riley likes you more than Marcus and Brad combined.”

“No he doesn’t,” I laughed. “We’re enemies. Always have been, always will be.”

“Whatever you say,” Liam waggled an eyebrow. “I think he likes you.”

“Ewww no he doesn’t.” I was grateful that Liam had managed to lighten the mood and make me feel better, even if it was by making up ridiculous stories about Riley. Now I just hoped Amelie would be able to help me. I was afraid that Harry was starting to get bored with me and I didn’t know what I would do with myself if I lost him.