**SEQUEL** Part 3

I played with the straw of my Pepsi, trying to look like I was waiting for someone in the back corner of McDonalds instead of looking like the loner I was. It wasn’t working very well.

Riley and I had gotten into a major fight after Harry left. He was mad at me for going to Harry’s last night and even more upset about the fact that in my sleep I had revealed when my true feelings still lay. I was angry at him for being a massive jerk to Harry. I had stormed out of the house in a fit of anger. It wasn’t until I was halfway to town that I realize it was my house and Riley should have been the one to leave, not me. I was too pissed off to go back, in case he was still there, so I spent a few hours wandering around town. I had been sitting in McDonalds for forty-five minutes now, trying to pass the time. Riley had called me a few dozen times before I shut my phone off. I knew he would be looking for me and since I hated fast food, I figured McDonalds would be the last place he looked.

I took a sip of my drink, making a face when I tasted the flat soda. Time for a refill. I got up and wandered over to the soda machine, placing my cup under the Pepsi nozzle and pressing the button. As I was waiting for the fizz to settle down I heard an extremely familiar voice order a cheeseburger.

“Liam?” I slapped the lid back on my drink and hurried around the edge of the machine.

Liam looked up and a look of horror crossed his face before his expression settled on guilt. “Hi Britt.”

I blinked rapidly, still not quite believing what I was seeing. Liam shifted awkwardly from foot to foot as my gaze danced between him and the boy standing next to him. Harry wouldn’t meet my eyes.

“What’s going on?”

“Hello,” the blonde boy in line behind Liam bounced over to me and held out his hand. “You must be Brittany.”

I shook his hand numbly, still not quite understanding the situation. The boy’s thin blonde brows crashed together in confusion as he surveyed me. “You don’t know who I am?”

“No,” I murmured. Why on earth would I know him?

“You didn’t tell her Liam?” the cute blonde kid turned on Liam, hurt filling his voice. “Are you embarrassed by us?”

The brown haired kid on Harry’s other side stepped forward, putting his arm around the blonde boy. “Niall, the Brittany situation is a very delicate one remember? I don’t think Liam wanted to tell her.”

The pieces clicked in my head and I suddenly understood. “You’re in a band with Harry,” I wasn’t sure whether to be hurt, shocked, or amused by the irony of the situation. “That’s why you wouldn’t tell me the names of your band mates.”

Liam nodded numbly, “I’m sorry for not saying anything. I thought it would be easier if you didn’t know yet.”

Harry still hadn’t looked at me and I felt the sharp sting of longing in my stomach. Last night he begged for me to take him back, now he wouldn’t even look my way. I was surprised by how much it hurt.

“Harry,” my voice cracked when I spoke his name. “I’m sorry about Riley this morning.”

“It’s not your fault,” he mumbled as he kept his eyes locked on the menu behind the counter. “I deserved it.”

“No you didn’t,” my eyes strayed to his hand and I saw the cut blossoming on the palm of his hand. He hadn’t covered it up.

“Yes I did.” It was almost as if he could feel my eyes on his injury because he suddenly shoved his hand into the pocket of his purple Jack Wills hoodie. “I shouldn’t have stayed at your house last night.”

“Wait what?” Liam’s eyes widened as he looked at me. “I thought you guys hadn’t talked in a year.”

“We hadn’t,” I pushed in the bubbles on the lid of my soda just for something to do. “His audition was on last night and I walked to his house without really realizing what I was doing. He brought me home.”

“Is everything…” Liam’s voice trailed off as he studied our body language. The tension in the room was so palpable I could taste the sharp sting of betrayal in the air. The brown haired boy and black haired boy seemed uncomfortable, while the blonde one was humming to himself as he tapped his fingers on the counter.

“She doesn’t want me in her life,” Harry finally spoke. “She hates me.”

“I don’t hate you Harry.”

“I know,” his cheeks flushed a delicate shade of crimson. I could tell he was embarrassed about what happened last night. I think it was time for me to go.

“Want to eat with us?” the blonde boy piped up. “It’ll be fun.”

The other four boys shot death glares his way but he was oblivious, his pretty lips curling up into a sweet smile as he awaited my answer.

“I don’t think that’s such a good idea,” I gave him a sad smile. “Maybe another time.”

“Oh okay,” his face fell and I felt a stab of regret in my gut. He was so precious; I didn’t want to hurt him.

“You stay,” Harry muttered. “I’ll go.”

“No Harry they’re your friends, I was just leaving anyway.” I offered him a tight smile before turning to the other boys. “Nice to meet you guys. Good luck on X-Factor.”

Liam stepped up and engulfed me in his arms. I hugged him back, trying to ignore the part in the back of my brain that was wishing it was Harry’s arms wrapping around me.

Liam let me go and I offered one last smile to the boys before turning and heading towards the exit. I could feel Harry’s gaze boring a hole into the back of my head. I stopped with my hand on the door, trying to make sense of the jumbled confusion that was my emotions. I didn’t want to leave him like this. I didn’t want the last encounter with the most important person in my life to be awkward and embarrassing.

“Harry?” I turned back to the boys. “Can I talk to you outside for a second?” I had no idea what I was doing. I had no idea what I was going to say to him.

He shared a confused glance with the brown haired boy but followed me outside anyway. “Yeah?” he shoved his hands into the pockets of his dark, tight jeans and rocked back on the heels of his tattered Supras.

“Why are you scared of Riley?” It was the only question I could come up with. I had no idea why I had asked him outside.

That was a lie; of course I knew why I asked him outside. I didn’t want to leave him yet. Last night had been emotionally draining, but it had felt great being around Harry again. I knew it was better off to have him out of my life completely, but one small hit and I was hooked again. I didn’t want to leave him yet.

Harry shifted uncomfortably as I waited for his answer.