Chapter 23: Misunderstandings

Harry was sitting across from me at the table, still with the pancake batter smeared across his flushed cheek. Our hands were tangled together and his thumb was gently rubbing the top of my hand. There was still concern in his green eyes, even though I had ensured him that I wasn’t going to break his heart.

“So what did you want to talk about?” Harry looked at me from underneath his long lashes.

I shifted uncomfortably in my seat, unsure of how to start off the conversation.

“It’s about us sleeping together right?” Harry shook his hair out of his eyes. “You don’t want to.”

“It’s not that I don’t want to,” I felt the need to do something with my hands, but they were too tightly wrapped up in Harry’s large ones. “It’s just that I’m not ready. Sleeping with Riley was a mistake and I can’t remember it. Having done it already doesn’t mean I want to do it again, even with someone like you. I always wanted my first time to be special and it was stolen from me.” Harry and Riley weren’t on great terms so I slipped in some support for Riley. “Not that it was Riley’s fault. He didn’t know and I can’t blame him for what happened. But I feel like I’ve been given a second chance and I don’t want to mess it up. I want to wait until the moment is absolutely perfect. I want to be able to remember it for the rest of my life and not be ashamed when I do. I want to be sure that the person I do it with is going to be there for me for the rest of my life. I don’t want to just throw it away on anyone, the way I did with Riley.”

“I’m not just anyone,” Harry’s eyes were burning into mine.

“I know Haz,” I felt him squeeze my hands. “And I care about you a lot, but I feel like something’s not right.”

The panic was back on his face, “What do you mean not right? I thought you weren’t going to break up with me.”

“I’m not but, I don’t know, I feel like I’ve lost you. You’re not the same person you once were.”

“What do you mean?” Harry was nibbling nervously on his bottom lip and I had to admit he looked extremely cute.

I shrugged hopelessly, “I don’t know, you just don’t seem like my best friend anymore. All you do now is throw yourself at me. We never talk or hang out or just enjoy being around each other the way we used to.”

“You don’t like kissing me?” There was an underlying tone of hurt that Harry was obviously trying to hide as his eyes slipped away from mine. The grip on my fingers loosened as Harry started to pull away. “No one’s ever said that before.”

“No Harry,” I grabbed at his hands but he had moved them out of my reach. So I folded mine in my lap and tried to fix what I had said. “I love kissing you, you’re an amazing kisser. But I don’t want to just kiss.”

“Then what’s the point?” Harry leaned back in his chair, tipping onto two legs. “If we don’t make out it’s just like being friends.”

“You don’t understand what I’m saying!” I was starting to get frustrated. This wasn’t a very hard thing to comprehend, yet Harry had to go and make it all difficult. “I want to be able to hang out with you without being afraid of you eating my face. Why can’t we be like Liam and Susan? They are adorable and in love and they don’t have their hands all over each other twenty four seven.”

“If you like Liam so much than why don’t you go not make out with him? Huh? How about that? I know you like him more than me.”

“Oh my god Harry! Why do you have to be so stupid all the time! I’m just letting you know how I feel because I want our relationship to work and you have to go and insult me. Liam is my friend. And you know why I needed a friend Harry? Because you aren’t one!” I pushed back my chair and stormed out of the room.

“Brittany!” I heard Harry running after me. His long legs quickly covered the distance between us and I felt his arms go around my waist from behind. “I’m sorry.”

I relaxed in his arms. “It’s my fault too Haz, I’m sorry for yelling at you.”

“It’s all right babe. You’re right I haven’t been the best friend to you lately. I promise to change that.” He turned me around so we had full eye contact. “And I know I keep saying things like that but this time I’m serious.” He bit his lip nervously. “Is it okay if I kiss you now?”

I nodded, glancing down at my feet. It was sweet of him to ask. His long finger tipped my chin up as his other hand made its way to my waist. I stood on tiptoe to meet his full lips. The kiss was sweet and gentle, not needy and desperate the way most of them had been lately. This I enjoyed. This I could spend the rest of my life doing.

“Thank you Harry,” I smiled as I pulled away.

He gave me a breath taking smile and I felt my heart flutter. He looked so genuine that I forced myself to believe he would keep his promise.  But I had known Harry for a long time and I knew the way he worked.

This time, it was my heart on the line and I decided that I had to trust him. Old Harry was a thing of the past, this was New Harry. My Harry. And he would wait for me.

----------

Happy St. Patricks day!

I really think she appreciates all the comments! BUT guys i did not write this story... http://1-directionforeveryoungfanfic.tumblr.com/ did. She gave me permission to put it on here.