Chapter 28: Is everything ok Riley?

“Double dates are so fun!” Susan’s voice was so chipper it was edging on forced. She looked pretty in a short floral print dress, wedges, and a cardigan. Her hand was wrapped through Liam’s, who was looking gorgeous in low cut white shirt, a blue cardigan, and gray jeans. He had nothing on Harry though, who looked absolutely flawless in a chunky blue sweater, tan chinos, and his glasses. His curls were perfectly fluffed and his green eyes shone in the low light of the cinema. I felt inferior next to him.

“You look cute baby,” Harry murmured in my ear. I was wearing a navy romper with flats and a cardigan.

“Thanks Haz,” I leaned my head on his shoulder and noticed that Susan was staring at us in the dark. I gave her a smile and she returned it before grabbing Liam’s chin and forcing his mouth down to hers. They made out for a few minutes, making me feel awkward. Harry hadn’t even so much as put his arm around me.

“Hey do you want any popcorn love?” Harry lifted my head off his shoulder and stood up, tugging down the hem of his sweater. “Or a drink?”

“I’ll just share with you,” I yawned. Cinemas always made me tired.

“All right sweetie,” he gave me a sweet kiss before slipping by me and heading out of the cinema.

I played with my cell phone, trying to look busy as I waited for him to get back. Liam and Susan were getting a little physical in the seats next to me and I did my best to ignore them. I was playing a game when suddenly my phone lit up with a text from Riley.

‘how’s it going?’

So he was being nice again. I had given up trying to understand him.

‘fine thanks’

‘how’s the movie?’

‘hasn’t started’

‘how’s Harry?’

‘he’s great’

‘how’s Liam?’

‘fine, should I ask him about the singing thing?’

‘no, how’s Susan?’

‘Susan is sucking face with Liam, why do you care?’

‘just making sure everything is okay’

I took a deep breath. If he wanted to be nice then I would be nice back. But if he started acting like a jerk again then I was not going to be happy.

‘thanks for your concern, you should have come’

‘I don’t have a girlfriend’

‘doesn’t matter, you could have come anyway’

‘next time I’ll come’ he promised, ending the text with a smiley face.

‘can’t wait,’ I also ended with a smiley, looking up to see Harry standing at the end of our row holding a bag of popcorn and a soda.

“Here,” he handed me the soda and climbed over me to get back to his seat. “Who are you texting?” He took a handful of popcorn and playfully fed me a few pieces before knocking back the rest himself.

“Riley,” I put my phone back in the pocket of my cardigan and took a sip of the soda. “You got Pepsi.”

“Yeah it’s your favorite,” Harry dumped another handful of popcorn in his mouth.

“But you like orange soda better.”

“I don’t mind,” he shrugged. “I’d rather you be happy than me.”