Chapter 1

The song blasting from her headphones was getting old now that she'd listened to it at least ten times in the last half hour. I could hear it all the way across the table from her as she was typing away at her laptop, bobbing her head to the song.

I sighed annoyed and tried to get back to work. I was currently working on a freelance project in the public library and I got literally nothing done, because I couldn't concentrate long enough to get any inspiration.

In the last few years back in the country — it had been seven years since my return — I had been working what most would call the night shift. So here and then I did the odd freelance project on the side. It worked well with my strange schedule.

Most nights I worked and I wouldn't get back until early in the morning. So I slept in and the afternoon was my time off. Mostly I spend it working out, reading or doing some freelance work, like I was trying to do now.

Unfortunately, that wasn't really working out right now, because some woman was making way too much noise. I was sure she'd have hearing damage by now, but she was still listening.

I gritted my teeth and focused on returning some emails and scheduling some appointments with clients.

Normally I liked coming to the library to do my freelance work there or to get a new book. I'd spend all afternoon reading, before grabbing a quick bite and heading out for work.

I used to come here to study for my degree, but I had graduated a few years back. It was all in the past though — like many other things. Nowadays it was still my safe haven. Today though I was really regretting coming here.

The music brought me out of my concentration yet again. I slammed my palms on the table, gaining her attention. It was a little aggressive, but I couldn't turn my actions back. "Could you turn that down please?" I nearly growled, just keeping the edge out of my voice.

She moved her headphone a bit to the side to hear me, having the audacity to ask if I was talking to her, looking all innocent.

"Yes, I'm talking to you. Could you turn your music down?" Why hadn't I thought of this half an hour ago. It could have been so peaceful. But I didn't think of it earlier.

"Oh shit, you could hear that? I'm so sorry." She fumbled around on her laptop to turn her music down. Then finally the silence returned. "So sorry again. I had no clue you could hear that."

I rolled my eyes, returning my gaze to my work. "The whole library could probably enjoy your music for the last half hour," I muttered under my breath.

Apparently she heard me, because she started to apologise again.

"Save it," I mumbled without looking at her. I knew I was being a grumpy rude gremlin and taking it out on her, which was unfair, but I hadn't made the comment to get another apology out of her. I just wanted to finish my work for today, before I headed out for the job.

Tonight was one of those easy jobs. The ones not really interesting, but which still needed to be done. Luckily I finished my freelance work early, so I could head out on time.

Giving the woman one last glance, I left the library. She managed to catch my gaze.

She looked familiar now that I had taken a proper look at her. I didn't think I'd seen her before though. Must be one of those familiar faces.

I looked away and let it go and headed home, grabbing a quick bite on the way home. A light meal of course, because I actually had to work still.

At home I changed and passed my time reading until it was time to head out.

The weather had a huge impact on our job as it was outside. The summer might be less chilly at night, which was quite nice, but it made the time to complete the job shorter. Winter on the contrary was quite cold, but it was longer dark outside. And since my job was one executed in the shadows, it made winter preferable over summer. So spring and autumn were the perfect seasons. It was not too cold, but there was also enough time to get the job done.

When the night had finally fallen, I headed out. I went through the window and scaled the building. I pulled myself over the ledge and went to the other side of the rooftop. I sprinted the last bit to the edge and jumped over the alley, like I had done hundreds of times.

For a moment I was weightlessly moving through the air. The adrenaline flowing through my veins. The calm but heightened state of awareness made my mind focussed and my movements more fluent. It all became one, the rest just disappeared.

The drop was quite big, but by now I could do it depending entirely on muscle memory. I ran across roofs and jumped over alleys, enjoying the city night life.

These were the moments I savoured of my day. I moved through the night, slipping in and out of the shadows.

As I arrived at my destination, I jumped down to a lower platform and watched the window from a distance.

+++
Don't forget to vote <3