8

Just putting it out there, that this is my second favorite chapter which is why I couldn't wait to update.

6 being #1

**** Adinath ****

I went back to the chambers the moment I found a little free time, only to find Vaishnavi resting her head on the table. She was facing the other side, so didn't really notice me.

"What crime did the bed commit?" I asked, "That you chose to sleep on the table instead."

"I am not sleeping, your highness," she said as she sat up.

"Day dreaming?" I asked. She shook her head.

"Thinking," she answered.

"About?" I asked as I took a nearby chair and sat opposite her.

"What would've happened if I didn't answer your question about my book yesterday," she answered.

"I would've asked again," I replied.

"What If I still didn't answer?" she asked.

"I...would've asked again," I replied.

"What if I never answered?" she asked, "That would've made you angry, right?"

"Maybe," I replied, "It would've been very frustrating to ask the same question again and again and be met with nothing but silence."

"And then....what would've happened?" she asked a little scared.

"I don't know," I replied honestly, "It's hard to predict the outcome of something that never happened."

"What do you usually do when someone makes you angry?" she asked, "Do you hit them?"

"No...." I answered.

"Send them to prison?"

"No...."

"Kill them!?"

"Vaishnavi, why would I do any of that to anyone just because they made me angry?" I asked calmly. Perhaps my reputation is what's terrifying her.

"Because....you have the power to do so," she answered in a low voice, "you are the king"

"More reasons to not do anything insane," I smiled. She remained silent.

"Forget about me," I said changing the topic, "What do you do when you are angry?"

"I'll....cry..." she answered and now I fell silent.

That's the most innocent and pure answer one could ever give to that question. 

"Now....that is not a very efficient stratergy, is it?" I asked choosing my words very carefully.

"I don't know what else to do," said Vaishnavi.

"Shout, scream, walk away, give an angry look, knock things down, sing, dance....the options are infinte," I suggested.

"But...I don't want to hurt anyone," said Vaishnavi.

"In not doing so, you'll end up hurting yourself a million times more," I said. Vaishnavi didn't speak. "Vaishnavi, it's okay to express anger," I said calmly, "True, sometimes you might hurt others, but most of the times it would just be an expression of feelings and that's normal. As normal as it is to express happiness." 

"Really?" Vaishnavi asked innocently.

"Yes," I assured. "Who braided your hair today?" I asked changing the topic.

"Sruthi did," Vaishnavi said looking at her braid, "She used a new technique where -"

Vaishnavi paused when I ran my finger through her braid, effectively undoing it.

"Why would you do that?" she asked surprised.

"Because no lesson is complete without practical implementation," I answered. "So, I ruined your hair," I stated, "What are you going to do about it?"

Vaishnavi looked at me blankly, perhaps with a slight hint of anger.

"Crying is out of question, Vaishnavi," I reminded.

Vaishnavi continued to stare for a while and all of a sudden tried to reach out for my hair. I leaned back. She tried with her other hand. I moved to the side. She tried again. I moved to the other side and stood up before she could try again.

Vaishnavi stood up too and tried to reach for my hair but I was too tall. All I had to do was to lean back a little. She tried a couple more times and I could see her getting more and more frustrated. At a point where I thought she was going to cry, I held her hand as she tried to reach out.

"I will melt if I see your tears but the world shall not," I said. "Go ahead," I added and let her hand go and stood straight to allow her to mess with my hair.

She didn't.

"Let it be," she said, "It looks good."

"That's very generous of you," I smiled, "If not, I would be forced to go to the Royal court with unkept hair."

"You have court now?" Vaishnavi asked.

I nodded. "In a few more minutes," I said, "Would you like to come?"

Vaishnavi shook her head. "I don't want to see people getting punished," she said.

I totally understand that, given how sensitive she is.

Meanwhile Pallavi started to walk into the room shouting.

"Your highness, when will we go for our sneak peakin-" she paused the moment she saw me in the room. 

I promise I did not even do anything. Not even an angry stare but Pallavi immediately dropped everything and ran away.

Vaishnavi laughed and I laughed along.

"You have some really interesting people around you," I said.

"Certainly," she smiled and confirmed.

"What's this sneak peaking session she was talking about?" I asked curious.

"She said she will take me to the most beautiful place in the palace," Vaishnavi answered.

"Ah...the most beautiful place..." I said thinking.

"Do you know what it is?" Vaishnavi asked.

"As a matter of fact, I do," I answered.

"What is it?" she asked again.

"Find out in your sneak peaking session," I said, "Which if I may add, is something you are doing by disobeying the kings direct orders of wanting you to read."

"I read the laws, your highness," Vaishanvi countered, "It's only considered a direct order if there is a written document with the official royal stamp. Else, it's your word against mine."

I nodded, impressed.

"I could only hope your next book isn't about all the loop holes one could use to get away from the law," I joked.

Vaishnavi smiled. "I will promise to not do that," she said.

What do you think is the most beautiful place in the palace?