18

*** Vaishnavi ***

"Your highness, the king is arriving," one of the maids rushed into the library to inform me.

"BAHHH" Pallu shouted and was about to run out of the backdoor. "Pallu keep this book in the last shelf," I said and sneaked a book into her hands before she could run.

Soon enough Adi stepped in and everyone stood up.

"Out," he commanded and within no time the library got completely empty except for me. He started walking towards me and I took a few steps forward to meet him halfway.

The first thing he did was to gently pick up my right hand and turned it to notice the ink marks on my palm.

"Enlighten me Vaishu," he asked calmly still focussed on the ink marks, although the anger is clearly evident, "How long is writing a letter supossed to take?"

I was expecting this. It is almost sunset and I still did not finish my letter. A letter that I promised to send him in the morning!

"I could not find the right words," I said hesitantly.

"Could not find the right words?" he repeated now looking at me, "In eight hours?"

I remained silent. 

What am I supossed to say? I really could not find the right words.

I think my silence only frustrated him further.

"Step aside," he said and walked past me to my desk.

"Adi wait..." I said as he picked up the letter I was writing but he picked it up anyway and started reading.

After what felt like an eternity, he looked at me bewildered.

"Vaishu, this...this cannot be healthy," he said genuinely concerned. "Are you alright?" he asked placing his palm on my forehead to check the temperature.

"I am," I said gently pulling his hand down, "And this is healthy Adi....it is...normal."

"No it is not," Adi oppossed, "I read medical sciences, I would know."

I signed. 

There has never been any documentation or information regarding the menstrual cycle. I know it because the first thing I did today is to look for books on that topic. This is a shush topic that no man would ever know unless his wife tells him, not even the king who is well  versed in medical sciences!

"Give me a moment," I said and went to the back of the library to get the book that I intended to hide, the book I wrote, and gave it to him.

"Blood, tears, and birth," he read the title out loud. "What is it about?" he asked looking at me.

"Read it," I said. "I will wait for you in my private chambers," I added not wanting to stay while he reads it. 

Surprisingly he did not try to stop me or ask any further questions and instead just turned to the first page of the book.

*********

It has been 3 hours and Adi has not showed up yet. Sruthi, Naina, and Pallu who are also with me in the common room of my chambers look equally concerned.

"Your highness, how long do you estimate would take to read that book?" Sruthi asked innocently.

"For Adi, 30 minutes," I answered.

Sruthi nodded and looked at tiny sand clock on the table.

"Perhaps...you should have lied, your highness," Naina hesitantly added, "Men do not respond well to this information."