76

Target - 550 comments and 1.1K votes

*** Sruthi ***

"Hi Ms. Sruthi," Veer stepped in with a smile, "Need to make an entry."

"Go ahead," I turned the book and pointed at his name while he sat down, "This is your name, right?"

"It is," Veer said plesantly surprised, "You are a fast learner, Ms. Sruthi."

"Thank you," I smiled.

"So my team's shift is over," Veer explained passing back the book, "So we will be in the recreation room for the next hour."

I nodded.

"Thank you," he said and was about to leave but stopped when I called his name.

"Can you teach me how to write 'Nanda'?" I asked.

"Nanda or Nandu ji," Veer asked teasingly.

"Never mind," I said looking away.

"Fine, I'll teach you," Veer compromised and sat back down, "This is Nanda and this is Nandu ji," he said writing both the words on a piece of paper.

"How to spell Kanda?" I asked.

"Do you secretly hate your best friend, Ms. Sruthi?" Veer whispered, "that you planning to get her lover murdered?"

"I won't tell anyone it's you," I replied, "please."

"The general knows my handwriting," Veer said, "What would I get if I take the risk?"

"What do you want?" I asked.

"Tell Naina I will be waiting for her in the library after sunset," Veer replied.

"Deal," I said and Veer took the pen in his left hand and wrote the two words in a very clumsy handwriting.

He is smart!

"Take care Ms. Sruthi," he said passing the paper back to me, "see you later!"

*** Naina ***

Stupid Veer!

Always risking his life for no reason!

Why does he want to see me in the library?

My thoughts were interrupted when a paper bird flew onto my shoulder. I picked it up and turned back to find Veer.

"My beautiful goddess," he smiled, "How are you?"

I smiled and ran to hug him.

"How are you Veeru?" I asked lovingly wrapping my hands across his shoulders.

"Fantastic, as always," he replied, "That's number 957," he added pointing to the paper bird in my hand, "I am very close to the target Naina. 43 more and you will have to tell your brother the truth."

I smiled.

"Focus on the chess championship," I said, "Not on paper birds."

"Given that I won every single game in the selection round, I'd say my focus is pretty much intact," Veer replied.

"Really?" I asked surprised and he nodded with a smile.

"I kept my side of the promise," he added, "Time for you to keep yours."

"Certainly officer," I smiled and lifted my heels up to kiss him but stopped when we heard the sound of a fallen book and turned out attention in that direction only to find a silloutte of a man hurriedly walking away.

Veer tried to rush to find his identity but it was of no use.

He was long gone.

"Dammit," Veer whispered furstrated and looked around to find a book that was dropped midway.