85

This chapter is going to be emotional and painful to read, brace yourself!

*** Adinath ***

"Do not dare take a step forward and I command this as your brother."

The moment I heard those words my feet automatically stopped and perhaps for the first time in my life, I doubted if I heard it right. Yet, my heart had no doubts, cause I could feel slight tears in my eyes. I looked up to hold them back before turning around to face the general.

"Wh-what," I struggled to form words, "What did you say?"

"I said I command you as your brother to not take a step forward," he repeated looking into my eyes angrily, "If I could smack you as your general, you wouldn't want to know what I would do as your brother."

I simply stared at him holding my emotions back. 

He threated me!

HE THREATED ME!

I am supossed to be offended but my heart is not co-operating with me because despite my best efforts, all I could express through my eyes is love for my brother, the longingness I am currently having to hug him, and the desire to thank him for finally accepting me.

"Don't do it," he pleaded lovingly placing his hand at the back of my head, almost reminding me of my father, while his eyes were filled with tears, "I have a fragile heart. I cannot witness the surrender of my little Adi."

Those words are enough to completely break me down and without hesitation I immediately hugged him tight, almost grasping the back of his shirt like a little child.

"I don't want to go either Nandu bhaiyya," I cried my heart, "I...I really don't....Mahadev has finally given me a happy life....he gave me Vaishu....he gave me people who think I am family....he gave me you....I..." I tightened my hands around him once again as I sobbed and composed myself before speaking, "why would...I want to give up all that....what joy would I find in that..."

"Then Adi..." he said taking a step forward to hold my face, "bacha...don't do it....don't surrender...."

I remained silent still sobbing as I looked away.

Never in my life did I think I would act like a child.....

"Let's go back...Adi...." he continued with tears in his eyes, "please...."

I took a deep breath and shook my head wiping my tears with the back of my hand.

"I can't bhaiyya," I barely spoke, "I....brought this upon myself..."

"You did not!" Nandu bhaiyya said holding my hands, "You were not at fault for rejecting the proposal."

"Maybe..." I said trying to form words betwwen my sobs, "maybe...rejecting her...wasn't a mistake...but the way I did it...." I paused for a second to compose myself, "Bhaiyya....along with the proposal....I got a 5 page letter....written by Verma....on behalf of his sister....telling me how much she admires me and loves me...." "And...I..." I stuttered, "instead of telling her that....she will find someone better....and being compassionate with my response....I replied in two sentences....my marriage is fixed with a girl....find someone else.....isn't that a very cruel and arrogant thing to do?"

"Not enough for you to deserve torture or death," Nandu bhaiyya immediately replied.

"That's for Mahadev to decide," I replied.

"Adi....." the general sighned frustrated, "Adi, you were a different man back then and you've changed so much after Vaishu came into your life. The Adi infront of me today doesn't deserve to be punished for the ignorant mistakes of his past self." "And..." he continued, "...stop listening to the enemies....we don't know what happened....and they are all whispers of the devil...."