Chp. 13: Football Practice

Thursday...

"Who's excited about food??? I'm excited about food!!" Sebastian sings as he, Simon, Luka, and I walk toward the cafeteria. He bobs his head back and forth, his long dreads falling in his face, "Who's excited about food??? I'm excited about food!!!"

"You're always excited for food," Simon replies, texting away on his phone. "Always," Luka adds, laughing. We get near my locker, and I pull it open. I throw my textbooks inside, as the boys all talk with one another.

"So, we hanging out tonight or what???" Luka asks, nudging me. I look over at him, arching a curious brow, "Well, depends!! I'm technically off, but I might have to go in."

"Don't!!" He whines, and I giggle. Turning to face him, I scrunch my nose, "Well, if only it were that easy, Luka. Things happen. Life happens."

"It's not your fault you forgot to go to work last night!!" He pouts sassily, his blue eyes meeting mine. "Um, it kind of is!!" I snort, and he laughs, "Plus, you guys have football practice anyway, so..."

"Why did you forget??" Sebastian asks, and Simon looks up from his phone. "Yeah!! Why did you forget??" Simon chimes in, genuinely curious.

"I just did," I nervously explain, catch off guard by the question, "I thought I could hang out with my friends in time before I had to go to work and lost track of time."

"Mhm..." Sebastian says skeptically, "Let that be the reason..." I shake my head, searching my locker for my things. The boys go back to chitchatting with one another and I suddenly pause.

Why does it feel like someone is staring at me???

I look to my right and find Travis talking with Joshua, Christian, and Jamie as they walk down the busy hall together. People all shift their attention toward them as they go. I try not to stare, but it's hard not to.

Their presence is very demanding...

Especially Travis's.

They all abruptly stop as they make their way to a locker. Josh pulls it open, revealing Stormy's name in big glitter letters on the inside.

Guess he's getting something for her.

The other guys begin playing around with one another, shoving each other and laughing loudly. Suddenly, Travis looks from them and up. Immediately our eyes meet, and for a long moment, we start at one another. His gaze softens up a bit as I wave a little at him, my heart fluttering. Slowly, he waves back at me, a gentle smile on his lips. 

However, his eyes give me a onceover and my cheeks immediately flush.

Why's he doing that???

'Finally you noticed me,' He mouths, shoving hands in his jean pockets. I raise a brow, mouthing back, 'You've been trying to get my attention??'

He nods a little, smirking, 'Yep.' I snort, but suddenly Luka taps my shoulder. I look back at him as he asks, "You remember that time you went swimming but somehow got locked in the bathroom??"

I laugh, shaking my head, "Yeah!! How could I forget!"

"That actually happened??" Sebastian asks, crossing his arms, and Luka nods.

"Yeah, so what had happened was-" Luka suddenly starts telling the story. I try to listen, but I can't help but get that weird feeling again.

Like someone's staring at me...

I look back at Travis and the others and already find Travis staring back. My heart races at that, shivers shooting down my spine from our oddly intense eye contact. He stays staring at me for a few more seconds, before he nudges the other guys.