Chapter 1 - Icy Death

"Um, yo, Xander?" Xander turned around as someone called out to him and he was surprised to see the night dispatcher walking over to him.

"What's up, Dave?" Xander looked down at the note the other man thrust out and frowned. "What the hell is this?"

"A murder scene." Xander's brows crinkled, and he looked down at the address. It wasn't on the shitty side of town and Xander lifted a brow.

"This is just south of the ritzy area, what kind of murder would even take place there?"

"I don't know, Xander. But I just took the call, and the other cops are busy. Sides, this is...well...one for the books."

"Thanks, Dave." Xander reached into his drawer and grabbed his keys, looking over the paper again. He got the address down in his head and started out of the building, making his way to his car but he quickly paused in his tracks. Who the fuck would murder someone by jamming a piece of ice into them? Talk about a brutal and rather unnecessary way, to die! Xander shook his head, unlocked his car, and climbed in, quickly glancing around. He didn't see anyone, but he swore he felt someone watching him, something that felt off, especially in the precinct parking lot. He shrugged it off and made quick in the night's traffic to head to the scene.

"Ice," he muttered, his thoughts shooting everywhere from a little ice stake to an ice sculpture. And given that thought, he can see some party gone wrong and someone pushing a heavy piece over and the swan's beak piercing the heart. 'Still not the pleasant way to go', he thought as he pulled up to the scene. He pulled his jacket on once he got out of the car and looked around. The usual teams were there, and the tape was blocking off the crime area, yet something was eating at him that something was off, something was abnormal.

He strolled to the scene and climbed under the tape, frowning even more once he walked to the body. No, this wasn't some beak poking through the chest. This was a man, a young man, straight out impaled on a huge stake of ice. Who the fuck would do that? And why the fuck would someone do that?

The ice itself was a good size of a wood block, like a 2x2, so this piece had to have been taken off of an ice block. Not an easy feat and even harder to drop someone on a pointy end like this man was. Xander walked around the crime scene as another cop walked over to him.

"Detective," the man said and Xander nodded.

"What can you tell me about what happened here?"

"Not much. I was patrolling the area when I got a call about a disturbance. I swear it didn't take me but two or three minutes to get over here, and this is what I saw."

"And how long ago was that?"

"About twenty minutes. Once I saw this, after giving myself a moment to not freak out, I called it in."

"Odd." Xander took out a glove from his pocket and knelled by the ice. He shivered at the coldness, confirming it was ice.

"What's odd?" Xander pulled his hand back and rubbed his fingers together; there was no water.

"Where's the water?" This time, the cop looked confused.

"What do you mean? What water?" the cop asked.

"Sure, we aren't in our sweltering summer heat but it's still warm enough. Even ice sculptures melt, and they have a protective spray on them. However, there is no melted ice, no water of any sort. And the blood that should have been gushing out, isn't it." The cop looked around, surprised to see nothing.

"I didn't think of that. But it is ice?"

"Shits cold enough." Xander stood up and looked at the body that was still there. "Anything you can tell me about the young man here?"