Chapter 6 - Just a bite

Jade watched the figure in her rearview mirror and shook her head. Xander was a tempting man, and she had no doubt she'd find all kinds of pleasure in his arms. But the problem was he wouldn't be up to it. There were types of people that she could pick up on that wanted to be part of this lifestyle, it wasn't hard to find them. They craved to be a vampire, but many didn't get how lonely it was, so they settled for the next best thing; being a bite slave. And she feared that if he was open to being one, she would jump at the chance.

That wasn't a distraction she needed when she had a bigger problem on her hands. She wasn't just at the bar to feed, although that was one of two main reasons. She was trying to see what she could pick up on. The death was so unusual that vampires had to be talking about it, but there wasn't anything she had overheard. It wasn't front-page news, and probably wouldn't be, but it was still big in their community. But not a peep was uttered, as if no one had caught wind or hadn't cared. And given just how small their community really was, she highly doubted that no one had heard.

With a frustrated sigh, she slammed her car into park once she got into her garage and climbed out. She didn't have time to think about this because the sun was already peaking up and she needed to sleep. Granted, investigating this death wasn't in her job description and she very rarely went over her title, but this just felt too off, too wrong. And she knew if she was pushing buttons that weren't under her name, she could easily be the next vampire death. With another huff, she stormed into her house, thankful she had the foresight to shut all her blinds, and went straight to her bed.

-----

Jade swirled her finger around the glass in front of her as she watched the crowd. For the past two nights, she had been out to the bars, feeding very little but still not catching anything. This wasn't right. Death for vampires was huge, how could the death of a newbie be so quiet? She couldn't peg it and she sure as fuck didn't like it. But her hands were tied. She figured after tonight, if she didn't hear anything, she was done because it wasn't like she was going to get answers.

"Fancy meeting you here?" Jade smirked at the voice and finished her drink before turning around to stare at the man.

"Something tells me this isn't a chance meeting, Xander?" He shrugged and she took in his attire. His t-shirt clung to his arms and chest like a second skin and the black jeans hugged his thighs nicely. She could only imagine what they did for his ass. She also gathered, from his lack of suit, that he wasn't here on business. "You're off today." It wasn't a question.

"Yup."

"And you come here?" Her brow lifted in a silent question that had him smiling. On any female, it would be a panty dropper, no doubt. Xander was a good-looking man and she firmly believed that he knew it. However, she had also been around far too long to overlook those types of smiles. "Save it, Xander. I'm not an average female."

"The smile works on everyone," he told her, moving to lean against her table. "What brings you here? Feeding again?"

"Not exactly." She matched his pose and glanced around. "When a crime is committed in this community and the death is handed out, it's heard all around. Unusual deaths, as the one the other night, wouldn't be quiet, so I thought I'd see what I could find out."

"And?"

"And nothing. No one is talking about it, and I've been here since I woke up."

"Let's go," he told her, taking her hand. She stumbled to keep up with him and she silently stated it was because he was tugging her, but it wasn't. She hadn't fed and she should have. Now, she was going to have to pay for that, and hoped she would be okay. She kept a better eye on herself than this, but she could admit her mind was consumed by other thoughts. "You okay?" he asked, glancing back at her.