Chapter 13 - Lying Won't Help

Xander closed the door to the guest room he had, letting Jade sleep there. After she had finished telling him everything, she was drained. He told her she could sleep there, and it would be safe enough for her. Since he wasn't a fan of the light so that everything for him was dark and blacked out.

But sleep wasn't coming for him like he had hoped. He grabbed another glass of liquor and sat on the couch. His mind tossed over everything she had said. It was evident that this was all vampire-related, that this was no longer his duty. However, he couldn't just stamp it with 'vampire relations' and close the case. Because teens were being hunted and then slaughtered.

There was no other way to say that. Horrible as it was, it was also the truth. And what was worse, he had no one to talk to about this. Jade had the means, being part of the community, but he didn't need something happening to her. And it sure sounded like no one questioned anything and if they did, well, it wasn't pleasant. So, what the fuck did he do? He couldn't go back to newspaper clippings from three hundred years ago. Chances were shit like that was gone.

And what did that prove anyway? That something similar happened? He didn't doubt that. But if the cops didn't handle it, and the so-called council didn't either, then who? Jade said there was another bite on the victim. What did that mean? Another vampire was at the scene? That a vampire killed the other vampire?

But that was a law that was broken. No matter what, though, Xander couldn't believe a council that was so tight, so highly regarded that you couldn't even ask questions, wouldn't have been all over the first vampire death. Especially if impaling on ice was one of the two ways to kill these beings and it wasn't something that was used.

No. He believed they would have caught whoever was behind this and dealt with it. So, he could only surmise that they had something to do with it. But without proof, without asking, without digging, he had nothing but his thoughts. And it wasn't quite like the humans could try the vampires and get away with it. Again, the humans were already dead, nothing he could do anymore.

He leaned his head back on the couch, letting the empty glass sit on his lap. This was the problem with being a damn cop. Shit stayed rolling in his mind and ate at him until he could figure it out. And if he didn't, well, he had plenty of sleepless nights. Or, well, sleepless days actually.

With a jerk, he sat upright. What if he did get into the community? What if being Jade's bite slave allowed him to be with her? Visit clubs? Other homes? Basically, follow her wherever she needed. That's what he was assuming was his job. Provide blood and sex when she sought it. He could do that. Especially if it allowed him the ability to learn more, to find out more. To maybe start putting some of these questions to bed.

Of course, the words of his Captain still rang in his head too. Of not doing that. Of being wary of them. He wasn't sure what to make of vampires, as Jade was it. But maybe it was high time to see some others for himself, right? No one could stop him; he was an adult. They might frown at him, but that was it.

"Did you sleep?" Xander blinked a couple of times, glancing over at Jade who stood in the hallway. His gaze shifted to his balcony then he slowly shook his head.

"No, guess I was too lost in my thoughts." She snorted and came to sit next to him.

"That's not good, Xander. What could you possibly be thinking about so hard?"

"The case. You and I both know this is vampire-related." She opened her mouth to object to the notion but truthfully, she couldn't, and he knew that. She couldn't bury her head in the sand and pretend that the vampire community wasn't a part of this.

History Repeats ItselfOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara