Chapter 3 - 'They're real'

Xander watched the lady disappear, his thoughts tumbling around. It was odd for him to see that, to even believe that, yet it made sense. Didn't he question the damn fangs? And what was that about knowing his boss? With a sigh, he pulled out his phone and checked the time. It was 11:32, was it too late to call him? Well, fuck it if it was. Without another thought, Xander pulled up his boss's number and started walking back to his car, waiting till the third ring for his boss to pick up.

"Xander, what's wrong? Why are you calling so late?"

"I'm at a murder scene but I just had a visitor who told me to call you with questions. Can you meet me at the bar down the way from your house?"

"Uh," Xander heard his boss move something and then sigh. "Yeah, give me about half an hour to get up and down there."

"That's fine. It will take me that long to get there anyway." With that, Xander hung up and stuffed his phone back in his pocket.

Thirty-five minutes later, Xander walked into the bar, seeing his boss in a corner booth. Which was perfect, no one was around them. He had a feeling this was a conversation that would be saved for their ears alone. He slapped his boss on the shoulder as he walked by, glad to see the beer already on his side of the table.

"Thanks, sir," Xander told him, taking a sip.

"You're on the clock, don't get used to it. Now why the hell are you calling me so late at night? Something was in your voice."

"Have you heard the name Jade?" Xander watched his boss, who paused before taking a gulp of his beer. The name wasn't overly common, especially in their area, but something told Xander that his boss knew just who he was talking about.

"She a woman with long jet-black hair, deep green eyes, stands about your shoulders, and has a pair of fangs?" That made Xander snap his head up. He had caught the slightly sharper canines, of course, but didn't really think they were fangs.

"Sounds about right."

"Christ Almighty," Dave said, slamming his beer down. "What the fuck was she doing on a scene?"

"You know her?" Dave leaned back in the booth and shrugged.

"A little, yes. I know more of her than know her. I do know she works for the vampire council." Xander sucked in a breath at that.

"It's real, they are real?" Dave looked around before nodding.

"What did she tell you? Better what, what was she doing? Someone died?"

"Impaled on an ice stake, actually. She said it was a newbie vampire. I saw his fangs, but I couldn't believe they were real."

"Oh, Xander, they are real. They aren't like Hollywood, though. They are shits who deserve a wide breath, but they are real." Dave ran his fingers through his hair and shook his head. "If the council sent her, it can't be good. She records deaths, but not all of them." Xander shook his head at the man, not understanding anything. He had tons of questions and had no clue what to even lay down first. He was honestly expecting his boss to laugh and tell him 'good one, what are you smoking on the job', not actually agree with anything. "Let's take a walk," Dave said, sliding out of the booth. He threw some bills on the table and Xander took a deep pull of his beer before following the man out.

"If they are real, wouldn't it be dangerous to walk around at night? Don't they attack and feed or kill, or some shit?" Xander asked, sticking his hands in his pockets.