Chapter 4 - Questions

Jade had seen Xander before he even stepped through the doorway. But that wasn't going to stop her from feeding from the man who had offered himself up to her. Sure, he wasn't her bite slave, but she didn't need one. She had flown solo more times than others thought, and it was great. And she steered cleared of bite slaves, especially after the last one died on her, not that it was her fault. Unless you count the fact that she didn't protect him like he needed to be protected.

So, without blinking, her eyes locked on the man who strolled in as if he had every right to be there, while her teeth sunk into the neck that was open and willing for her. Never had she dared to look at someone else when she was feeding. It was a good recipe to have something screw up. But it wasn't the blood of the man she was feeding on that she wanted. So, after just a few pulls, she stopped. With her eyes still engaged with Xander's, she ran her tongue over the wounds, making sure they closed before the man walked away.

And even from the distance, she noticed that he finally took a breath and continued walking over to her. She wiped away the blood that was still lingering on her lip as he neared, and her brow rose. She saw the anger, but she couldn't explain why. However, it was thrilling for her, and she refused to understand that.

"Found me," she told him, smirking.

"Is this a feeding haven?" Her eyes looked around and she shrugged.

"I guess one could call it that. It's where vampires can go to meet humans safely, without damage happening to either one. If it's just a feeding, great. A random fuck, even better."

"Finding a bite slave, the icing on the cake?" She tilted her head before flicking her black hair over her shoulder.

"He told you about that?"

"It's how he started. Do you know him?" Jade reached for her drink and nodded.

"I do. Marlene was a friend, is a friend, she's still very much alive. But at the time that Dave was in the picture, I wasn't around much. So, I can't say there were a lot of parties we all attended as to where I would have really had to the chance to talk to him. But I did know he was a cop who really liked Marlene, but he was married."

"You know a lot about him." She shrugged again as if it wasn't anything big. "Can we talk?"

"Want to talk to a bloodsucker?" He chuckled and closed in on her a bit more. When the hell did the massive room seem to close on her with that action?

"I want to talk to you." Her finger ran around the rim of her glass before she gulped it back and sat it on the counter.

"Let's go," she told him, taking his arm and leading him out. "You're not going to want to talk in there. Vampires don't have horrible hearing."

"Okay, so you're real." She chuckled and she made sure that her fangs showed. "I get the point."

"Look, Xander, I'm not sure what more I can tell you that your boss didn't share."

"He gave me the rundown on bite slaves and said that Hollywood wasn't right." She stopped on the bridge and stared down at the water running below.

"We don't fucking glitter in the sun, we don't burn up in churches, we don't come from Judas Iscariot, but that was a fucking brilliant idea. We don't sleep in coffins, we don't fly, exactly. We have good hearing, good eyesight, can jump a great distance, and can only die one of two ways. We sleep during the day, in whatever room we prefer in, but most of us have houses with blackout windows.