Chapter 16 - Something Unusual

Jade stared at her phone, having read the message from Xander for the fifth time. Samuel was dead. He was on his way to the scene, and he was sending her the address. He didn't give any more information, but she wasn't sure she wanted it. She wasn't die-hard friends with him, but she trusted him and had even had parties with him. However, Samuel was still a private vampire who had disliked the council for decades. So, though she wanted to blame them for this, she knew, deep down, that wasn't the case.

She needed to get out of her house. She needed to see this. She needed to send her apologies, even if it was too late because she knew this was on her head. The fact that he talked to her, even if it was his choice, was because of her. With a huff, she yanked her coat on, jumped on her bike this time, and high-tailed it to the address Xander gave her. Which was a park just down the way from where Samuel lived.

Once she pulled up in an alley behind the scene and killed the bike, her eyes opened wide. She knew this was how she would find him, but she still had hope that there was another way. Carefully, she pushed her kickstand down and then climbed off, her hands shaking.

"Jade," she heard, but she couldn't stop her movements. For the first time, she needed to touch the ice, to touch the body. The others weren't personal. They weren't on her head. But this one was. And she didn't know how to process that. "Jade." She shook his hand off, finally stopping before the body. The older man's hands were close to the wound; his eyes were wide. He was in shock.

"I did this," she whispered and Xander stepped in front of her, blocking the view.

"No, you didn't."

"He talked to me; he shouldn't have."

"It's a crime to converse with other vampires?" She gave him a pointed look.

"You know what I mean."

"I do Jade, but it's not your fault. Samuel didn't have to talk, didn't have to express or share anything. But he chose to. Of his own free will."

"Am I next?" she whispered and Xander pulled her into his arms.

"I don't see how. You know nothing, right?" Jade hadn't felt vulnerable in years. She wasn't the type to cling to anyone or anything. Not even as a human. But her hands fisted in his shirt, and she held him tightly. She needed him. She didn't want to admit it, but she did. At least for the moment.

"I know enough," she muttered, closing her eyes. The strength of a vampire seemed to have left her, leaving her weak. This wasn't typical. This wasn't normal. But then again, over the course of the last few months, what was normal? Nothing had been. And truthfully, it seemed like nothing would be again.

"I need to wrap up this scene, will you be okay?" Jade finally pulled back to look at him. She knew what he was asking and though she had seen this, she wouldn't do anything rash.

"I'll be fine. I'm going to the bar." She watched as his eyes narrowed and her lips lifted slightly. At least she could still smile. "I need to be around my kind right now."

"Given this," he told her, waving his free arm behind him, "I'm not sure that's wise."

"Not my boss, Xander. Sides, maybe I can gather something. It's worth a try." Xander was about to protest again but Jade pushed her finger against his lips. "Call me when you're done with work, huh? I might be okay with you coming over tonight." She wasn't sure she'd go for a bite, but a fuck sure sounded good. And she hadn't had that in a while. In fact, the closest she'd had been was with what she did to Xander.