Chapter 17 - 'I'm Yours'

Xander glanced down at his phone as it rang with the same damn unknown number for the third time. Someone was trying to get a hold of him and after three tries, it was evident that it wasn't some sales call. With a huff, thinking maybe it was something about a case or something found, he finally picked up.

"Hello?"

"Xander?" His brows furrowed in confusion.

"Who is this?"

"You don't know me, but my name is Albert. I knew Samuel and know Jade. She's," the guy paused and Xander clutched his phone as he heard the scream. "She's not doing good. Can you meet her at her house? I'll fill you in when you get there?" The line went dead and Xander checked the time.

"Fuck," he mumbled, grabbing his keys. He still had hours on the clock, but Jade needed him, though he couldn't phantom what the hell was going on. He had no choice and he prayed no one would be in search of him. Not that he figured anyone would be, as almost everyone was gone. Here was hoping it was a quiet night and no more dead bodies came in.

He rushed to her place, doing his best to be safe and not get a ticket. At this point, he couldn't afford that. His boss would have his ass. Not to mention that would only delay him even more in getting to Jade's place. Finally, he parked behind the car that was at an angle in the driveway. Well, Albert sure didn't know how to drive.

"Hurry," a man said, appearing at his window. Xander quickly got out of the car and followed him in, hearing Jade cry out from the bedroom.

"What the hell happened?"

"She was poisoned." Xander stopped in his tracks and turned to stare at the older vampire.

"How?"

"She was already drinking, but the man she was feeding from was well past any tolerable level." Xander quickly rushed into the room, almost falling to his knees at seeing Jade on the bed, in such agony.

"Why did you call me? I'm not a healer."

"I've seen you with her. Aren't you her bite slave?" Xander opened his mouth to deny it but something she said came forth in his memory and he stopped. If she was being targeted, she needed blood, clean blood. One that came from someone she was feeding on. He wasn't sure he could deny her, especially when she was like this.

"I'm am."

"Thought as much. She really eyes you when you're with her. Remember, she's going to need to clean her system out, so she might need some good amounts of blood. Protect yourself as well."

"Right. How do you know them?"

"I'm older than Samuel was." Xander glanced at him, his brow lifted. "I know Jade's looking into something, and it might not be good for her, or you. And it sure seems like someone is after her. But she's not on the wrong path. I've been around far too long and have had too many questions, but no reason to voice them. She's being the voice we've all failed to be. Protect her, Xander, she's going to need it. You're not just a human like she might like to think." Xander had no clue what that meant. He was human, he wasn't some witch or something. But he also knew that he couldn't say anything or try to object to the older vampire.

"I can't bite myself." Albert let out a sigh as he handed Xander a blade.

"Lords above, humans. I'm assuming she does all the biting. And you're a cop no less. Here, start on the wrist. She's going to need to take it slow and if she feeds from the neck, she's likely to drain you." Xander took the blade, holding the tip to his skin. He had never cut himself on purpose and he wasn't sure he had the strength to now.