Chapter 2 - Believe

Jade didn't do well with being told where to go or what to do, she hated rules and always had. Even before she was turned, she was a troublemaker. But no one got rid of her because she was damn good at her job. Her memory was impeccable, and her historian skills were out of this world. That's why the vampire council kept her around and ignored her attitude. She did her job well for them. But she didn't like to be ordered, and they knew that. So, she only glared at the man before her as he handed her a piece of yellow aged paper, telling her to go to some damn location and check it out.

"Really, can't get into the golden age here and use a phone. You know, send me a text saying to go somewhere, we're still at the old age with paper that's made, not even bought." The man before her tilted his head, his eyes boring into hers.

"If you have a problem, Jade, take it up with the council. This is your job, not mine. You know it was coming, they always do it to you." Jade growled as she shoved the paper with the address into her back leather pant pocket.

"Whatever, Russ, whatever. I'll be back with anything I can find out."

"Please, don't take too short of a time, your presence isn't wanted." She flipped him off as she turned around, heading to her car. She didn't care if it was wanted. She hated being there as much as they hated her. It was a love/hate relationship she had with the council. Probably the same relationship they had with her, not that she cared. She didn't ask to be turned 270-plus years ago, but she was. And when the matriarch of the council found her, well, she just couldn't destroy Jade. To this day, Jade always wondered if that old woman had saved her or condemned her. The jury was still out on that one.

With a sigh, she followed the directions to the place, lighting up yet another cigarette, not surprised to see the empty street. Nor surprised to see the cop cars. Or the damn yellow tape too. How many people actually paid attention to that? None. She saw people crossing it all the time.

She parked her car down the street and then walked over, standing on just the edge. Where she was, she would never be noticed. Besides, for what she was, she blended in. Her eyes scanned the few people there, clocking the badges. However, the man by the ice stake was one she wouldn't have pegged as a cop. He was too fucking tall, too broad-shouldered, and too fucking sexy, to be in that line of work.

Jade licked her lips as she watched the man work, eyeing him. How long had it been since she had a bite slave? Impossible to actually remember. She enjoyed them, but for some odd reason, hers never lasted long. Not like some others who kept bite slaves for decades, if possible. She had to shake her head to force those thoughts away. This man wouldn't want the part and she did better solo anyway.

With that, her eyes flew to the man, if one could call him that, that was dead. In all of her years, Jade hadn't seen too many deaths by ice, usually, it was the sun. But ice was the best way to kill a vampire, not what most people thought. And it wasn't like vampires made it a habit of killing each other; that was a law they were supposed to abide by.

So, who did this? Jade glanced upward, seeing the light post, and shook her head. They were soundless, sure, but flying wasn't in their nature. At least, not for most of them. Quietly, she drew closer to the scene, stopping far away enough not to alert the man that was walking around the victim and pulled out another cigarette. Of course, with her hearing, she heard him muttering and couldn't help but step in.

"Vampire?" he asked her, tilting his head to look at her. "Better yet, how did you get in?" She puffed another time and shrugged.

"Yes, vampire. And I came in, just like you. My car is parked down the street," she told him, knocking the ashes off her stick.