Chapter 9: Shark Attack

——————————🏴‍☠️——————————

Carina stood at the rail of the ship, holding her diary and the chronometer she had stolen from the shop. Ronan came up beside her and she looked up at him, to see him smiling at her. She gave him a light smile back, and continued looking at her diary.

"So she's saying she's got the map, but she's the only one who can follow it?" Gibbs asked.

"So we should shoot her?" A crewman asked.

"Leave her be." Ronan ordered. "She will take us to the Trident."

"You've been saying that for hours." Gibbs complained.

"Two things we know are true, eh?" Scrum jumped in. "Stars don't shine by day. And she forgot the donkey."

Callie groaned from her place beside them. "For the last time, there's no donkey!"

"How can we go to a spot where no land exists on any map?" Gibbs asked (Y/n) and Jack who were standing next to them.

Carina sighed and turned to face them. "This chronometer keeps the exact time in London. I'm using it to make an altitude measurement to determine longitude. Only then will we find our exact spot at sea."

"So you expect to find the Trident with a timepiece?"

"Yes. My calculations are precise and true." Carina insisted. "I'm not only an astronomer, I'm also a horologist."

The whole crew gasped and looked around awkwardly at that last comment, except for Henry, Callie, Ronan and (Y/n).

Jack just shrugged. "No shame in that, dear. I mean we all have to earn a living, eh?"

(Y/n) flicked him on the back of the head. "That's not what she means, you idiot."

Carina shook her head. "No, no. I'm a horologist."

"So was my mum. But she didn't crow about it as much as you." Scrum told her.

Carina looked at him in disbelief. "Are you saying your mother was academically inclined?"

"More like horizontally...reclined." Jack said, laying his arm down flat.

(Y/n) hit him again.

"Horology is the study of time." Carina corrected them.

"And she was always looking at her watch." Scrum said.

"I can vouch for that." Marty added, causing everyone to stare at him.

"So no one can find the 'X' but you, right?" Jack asked.

"No."

"And the donkey?"

"Scrum, you mention one more word about a donkey, I will throw you overboard." Callie threatened.

"Ship to the aft!" Gibbs suddenly shouted, startling everyone.

They all looked to see a ship in the distance, surrounded by dark clouds and birds.