Extra

The events in this chapter take place before the story of Burq and Leyla begins, when Leyla is Brekhna and still committed to Asfandyar. This is just an extra part I wanted to write and doesn't affect the story of Hearts Of Gold in any way.

In my beloved's lovely eyes,
A universe of beauty lies;

Ghani Khan

Wadi-e-Kaghan, KP, Pakistan

She has wondered often what greater beauty can exist beyond the beauty human eye can come across on earth, the splendor of which sometimes are impossible for the mind to contain. She has tried imagining the heaven often, well aware that the heaven is something human mind cannot imagine— a beauty beyond any eye has seen. Such glory her Lord holds, the skies and the earth bear witness to it, yet there is a promise of more. His promise is the hope without which life would've lost its colors— the promise that gives meaning to her life.

Standing at the shore of lake Saif-ul-Maluk, Brekhna stares in awe at the view before her. The lake that is like a magical mirror, its pale blue water reflecting the sky above and the green mountains surrounding the valley, and white specks from their snow covered peaks and the sailing clouds. It steals away her breath; it leaves her stunned. Such exquisite beauty, the magnificence of it brings fairytales to life.

The sun is feeble and the breeze cool. She keeps her hands under her shawl to keep them warm. At such early hour of the day, there isn't a crowd around and she's grateful for it.

Someone joins her by the lakeside. There's a considerable distance between them, but his presence in her vicinity is heavy over everything else. He demands her attention to shift to him, and suddenly all her thoughts begin to circle him. Brekhna glances at him.

"Do you like it?" he asks with his own eyes fixated upon the lake.

Hands tied behind his back, his shawl rest upon his broad shoulders and comes down unwrapped at his front. He's wearing black shalwar kameez with an off-white shawl only, and she wonders if he doesn't feel cold. Covered in her own shawl and sweater, she can still feel her fingers growing numb from the chill in the air.

"Who wouldn't like it?" she replies. "It's beyond beautiful."

They stand in silence together, enjoying the view. Behind them, she can hear their families chattering as they set out a table to eat.

"Have you been here before?" she inquires.

"Yes, a few times." He finally turns to her. "It's your first time here, isn't it?"

She nods. "I've never had a chance before."

He gazes at her. His gray eyes are a shade darker than the gray lining of the clouds, but they certainly are much colder than the weather. Brekhna quickly looks away, unable to hold his gaze.