15 Macrocosm

Sit with those who have sinned and then repented, for they have the softest of hearts.

Umar ibn Al Khattab

Life often takes us to unexpected turns and crossroads; sometimes to just teach a a lesson, other times as a penalty

Life often takes us to unexpected turns and crossroads; sometimes to just teach a a lesson, other times as a penalty. Then either we find the right way back, or we're lost.

He feels as if he has been wandering aimlessly; he feels desperate to reach the end of the line. He doesn't know if he's among the lost, neither if it's a punishment. But he believes in one thing: Leyla is both his lesson and the right way back to life.

He doesn't know the plans of God. Who ever does? But he's grateful for one bright star in the form of this woman in his midnight sky. She lulls his agony, walks over the rough borders of his personality, and always stays with him.

But if someday God decides to take her away from him, he won't be surprised. After all, he hasn't be been a righteous man. Upon what good deeds of his could he make prayers to the Lord of the world? He laughs mentally. The Lord of the world probably has more important matters to deal with than paying attention to devious humans— like sending His blessings upon the pious ones, he wonders, and his souls sizzles in guilt. Is he hopeless?

She lowers her eyes and for the first time in all this while, Burq sees Leyla as meek and unsettled. She's always daring and confronting. This side of her doesn't sit well with him.

"I've no explanation to give you," she says.

"I don't ask you for any explanation. I only ask of the reason."

"I've no reason."

"Lies," he hisses impatiently, then sighs. He lifts up her chin so they see eye to eye. He softens his voice as he asks, "Would you just kiss any man for no reason, Leyla?"

He watches as the guard in her orbs shatters and breaks as if paper thin glass. There is a maelstrom of emotions in there sucking him in. And for some insane cause, he wants to let go and drown in there.

"I would never. But you're not just any other man, Burq."

Something within his ribcage jump. "Then who am I to you?"

Her eyes become distant, staring into his, hunting for something he has no idea of, but something intense, he knows.

She gives him an almost invisible smile as she presses her palm to his cheek, still clutching the mirror he has gifted her into her other hand.

"You're my whole universe, Burq. My macrocosm— my whole existence."

And that something within his ribcage explodes with great force, enough to render him speechless.

"Leyla..."

He doesn't know if he's saying her name in a warning or a wanting. He only knows that his comprehension of the moment has died.