16 Heartstrings

Aren't we all waiting to be read by someone, praying that they'll tell us that we make sense?

Rudy Francisco

She watches him from the vast veranda of his country house, keeping herself hidden behind a pillar

She watches him from the vast veranda of his country house, keeping herself hidden behind a pillar. The flames dance across his profile as they highlight his sharp features, glimmering in his joyous eyes as he laughs and dances around the fire with other men, making his eyes look less like a wild forest filled with vehemence of bellicose beasts.

His presence among the other is dominating, demanding attention, gripping her own orbs to him like a powerful magnet. Leyla feels bedazzled.

Here, being happy like this, he appears more like a human than a perilous animal on a hunt. She appreciates him being more lenient— a little pleasant, a little humble— instead of being fiery and unforgiving— instead of being a slave to his pride.

"Do you find him handsome?"

She turns around to find Zarbakhta standing behind her. Leyla only smiles at her and she returns her smile knowingly.

"You look beautiful, Zari," Leyla compliments instead.

The intricate embroidery on her engagement dress catches moonlight as she grins and twirls around. "May your brother think the same," Zarbakhta prays lightheartedly.

Leyla takes her hands in hers. "I think Lawangeen will be charmed."

"You think so?"

"I know so."

Zarbakhta looks at her through her lashes. "I don't know. I think he's not happy with our engagement. Does he feel forced because of our betrothal made by our families? You know you don't have to lie to me."

"If there was any such case, he would've mentioned it," Leyla assures firmly.

Zarbakhta sighs and looks down at their joined hands. "If he doesn't want this, then I really don't want to become the chains at his feet and hold him down."

"Don't you love him?"

"I do. Always have, always will. You know it."

"Then you won't become his chains but his wings to lift him high." Leyla pats her cheek, fixing her gaze. "And I'm not saying this because you're my best friend, but because I know you're an angel."

Zarbakhta's eyes water and she sniffs, swatting at Leyla's hands. "Don't get me emotional now. You'll ruin my make up."

Leyla chuckles and hugs her. She returns her embrace warmly.

"Thank you," Zarbakhta whispers to her and pulls away. She looks behind Leyla and tenses up. "Lala?"

Leyla turns to find him standing near her. She takes a step away to put some distance between them. His pupils seem to zoom on her movements.