30 Lightning

No matter how temporarily two souls are interwoven, they always leave a mark. But not every mark is a bruise. Loving him was an honor, never a burden.

Noor Shirazie

"What does Brekhna mean?"

"Lightning."

"Is it another beautiful coincidence that our names mean the same?"

"Maybe."

"Well, I still like Leyla more."

She doesn't know what is more cruel: to have distanced herself from him so her heart could've gotten time to get accustomed to his absence. Or this, making memories with him she knows will haunt her once they part.

But he's the darling of her world, the center of her universe; her thoughts revolve around him all the time. And just like him, she's selfish too. She's trying to grasp whatever moments she can get to spend with him and not let them go waste.

He extends his palm to her and she places hers against his. They're sitting on a blanket at a beach and the dusk is falling. The hours she has left with him are only few now.

"I like how your hand is smaller than mine," he tells her.

She chuckles softly but doesn't say anything

"Do I sound dumb?" he asks apprehensively.

"No, you sound cute."

"But I don't want to sound cute to you."

"What do you want to sound like then?"

"I want to sound romantic to you, qalbi."

She slips her fingers through his and lock them, smiling. "You sound the most romantic to me when you say my name or call me by an endearment," she tells him.

"Leyla." He tilts his face closer to hers. "Qalbi, habibi, hayati, shamsi, qamari—"

She covers his mouth with her hand as she laughs, halting his chain of endearments. "Stop, you tease."

He kisses her palm before removing it. "One more."

She tilts her face towards his too, whispering, "What?"

"Malikati," he whispers back. "My queen."

She grins and lowers her gaze, feeling her cheeks burn and shying away from him. There was a time when he told her being his wife didn't make her his queen. How the tables have flipped is flat on her comprehension.

"You were never a shy woman," he comments.

"You don't like shy women?" she bugs.

"I don't like any woman. I like you."