06 Ferocity

At an early age I learned that people make mistakes, and you have to decide if their mistakes are bigger than your love for them.

Angle Thomas

Leyla dips her fingers in red and blue paints, running them over on a white chart, the colors mixing and creating purple where they meet

Leyla dips her fingers in red and blue paints, running them over on a white chart, the colors mixing and creating purple where they meet. She looks at Mustafa and smiles.

"Now your turn, my baby."

Mustafa excitedly eyes the different colored paints. "But which one, Lily?"

"How about blue and yellow?"

"Which color will they create?"

"Why don't you try and see for yourself?"

Mustafa grins as he collects the paint on his little fingers. Leyla leans forward and places a kiss on his head. He rubs his fingers close to where Leyla had, creating green between the blue and yellow shades. His dark irises glow with ecstacy, resembling those of his late father's— reminding Leyla of Lawangeen whenever he would laugh at something. She misses her brother.

"It's green!" Mustafa exclaims, pulling Leyla back to the present.

She chuckles. "Wow, it's pretty."

"Yours is pretty too, Lily."

"Thank you, jaan."

Her phone begins to ring and she reaches out to pick it up from the coffee table, reading the caller's ID.

"Why don't you mix some more colors while I go talk to your aunt? You can show them to me once I'm done."

Mustafa nods and Leyla gets up from the floor, moving over to the couch and answering the call.

"Spogmay."

"Salam, sister."

"Salam," Leyla greets back. "How are you, love?"

"I was really well until Gul told me about you and Burq." Leyla could hear the hiss of annoyance in her younger sister's voice. "Brekhna, don't tell me you're back together with him."

"Of course I'm not," Leyla defends.

"You better not be after everything he did to you. I've been trying to connect with you for days but couldn't. I called Gul and she explained to me everything: how you've been busy taking care of your dearest husband," Spogmay finishes with a huff.

"Spogmay," Leyla shushes her warningly. "You didn't call me to argue with me over petty affairs, did you?"

"This is not a petty affair, sister. I haven't forgiven that man even if you have. I suggest you tell him the truth and get your divorce from him. With his memory gone, he wouldn't care much since he doesn't remember anything."