14 Lantern

I am the dream you are dreaming.
When you want to awaken, I am that wanting.

Rainer Maria Rilke

The first snow of winter falls like soft cotton from the sky

The first snow of winter falls like soft cotton from the sky. Leyla extends her palm into the air, feeling a cold prick before the snowflake melts on her warm skin. She smiles and lifts up her face.

"The snow is falling, Lawangeen, and you're not here. Knowing how much you loved snowfalls, I pray it's snowing for you in heavens too." She places her hand over her heart. "I love you, brother. Soon, I'll bring you justice, prove Gulalai modest, and give your son our family's name he rightfully deserves. And Spogmay and I will be free again." She sigh and her breath mists before disappearing. "Rest in peace, best friend."

She turns around and walks back inside the house. She watches Spogmay sitting in the swinging chair by the window, in the living room. Mustafa sits on her lap, wrapped in a giant blanket as Spogmay lovingly pats his back, lulling him to sleep.

"The panda is sleeping again?" Leyla chuckles, walking towards them.

"The prince does as he please." Spogmay smiles, placing a kiss on his head. He stirs.

"Where's Gul?" Leyla asks.

"In her bedroom, missing her husband."

A pang shoots through her breastbone. "I'll go check on her."

"Brekhna," Spogmay stops her. "Her loss is great. Let her mourn him. Our sympathies won't lessen her pain, but the tears she shed might."

Leyla bites her tongue, looking out of the window.

"Love is such a terrible bargain," Spogmay says and Leyla turns to meet her eyes. "Gulalai defied her family in lala's love; lala (brother) left Zarbakhta in Gulalai's love; Zarbakhta refused to marry anyone else in lala's love." She chuckles ironically. "Asfandyar couldn't stand lala rejecting his sister for an outsider, and then the last straw broke when lala canceled your wedding to him. He went crazy in your love and murdered our brother. And to escape that madman, you married that arrogant Arab. Then to add cherry to the topping, you fell in love with him and forgot even your principles. And Burq? He married you to substitute his ex but failed and couldn't reciprocate your love." Spogmay clicks her tongue. "Why must these triangles be so tragic, sister?"

Leyla finds it difficult to balm the ache in her chest. It's deep and it's searing. And she's helpless because she knows what Spogmay is saying is true.

"When has any human fought and won against their faith?" Leyla wraps her arms around herself. "When has a heart ever succumbed to logic?"

"A slave of desire is no good, Brekhna."

"Love and desire are no synonyms, my moon."

Spogmay shakes her head, as if in dismay. "Burq is no different than Asfandyar. Just because his hands aren't bloodied doesn't mean he's any better."