25 Supplication

I love you as certain dark things are to be loved, in secret, between the shadow and the soul.

Pablo Neruda

The Possessor of mighty and honor listens to every heart, both speaking and silent, and both broken and healed

The Possessor of mighty and honor listens to every heart, both speaking and silent, and both broken and healed. He Who has perfected the human into proportion alone can do so again, both to the body and soul. The body, for as long as it lives, dress and hide the soul. And the soul, may it be shattered inside this case, can only be seen by the Creator of it. Then who can fix it besides Him?

He closes his eyes, raising his hands to his face as he makes his supplication, mumbling quietly so his words remain only between him and God.

"My Lord, my pride and anger have left me lonely. No one besides You can know the distress of my soul. I ask you for peace You promise only Your remembrance can give me. Having forgotten You all these years, I've become among the wrongdoer. But You're the most forgiving, ever merciful, so forgive me for my wrong deeds."

He continues to pray, repent, and seek God's forgiveness. He searches for his peace.

When he finishes his morning prayer and looks back to his right, he finds her still praying. She sits on the prayer mat behind him— the prayer mat he has bought her. He doesn't know what she asks God for in her supplications. But he does know the peace he's seeking, Leyla carries it with her.

He patiently waits for her to finish. When she's done, she picks up her prayer mat before picking up his too, folding them both and placing them at a side table.

Burq holds his crutches and stands up from his chair. He nods towards the couch.

"Come, sit with me."

She follows him to the couch, then sits beside him quietly and looks at him. He stares back into her eyes.

Those orbs that would frighten him with their darkness once are littered with a million stars now. The night in her eyes fascinates him. Her eyes have constellations in them and he, like a lost sailor, is guided by them.

"By the morning sunlight, and the night when it falls still. Your Lord has not abandoned you, nor has He become hateful of you," he begins reciting a chapter from the holy book, continuing slowly, word by word, until he reaches, "And He found you lost and guided you." He touches her face, as if she's unreal. "And He found you needy and satisfied your needs." She smiles up at him, and he recites the remaining verses to the last one, "And proclaim the blessings of your Lord."

Leyla gazes at him in joy, reaching forward to hold his face in her hands, grazing his jaw tenderly with her thumbs. "You've started reciting Quran?"

He hums and smiles sadly. "My mother taught me and helped me memorize some of its chapters. I've forgotten most, but still remember the smaller ones." His smile fades. "I tell myself that He doesn't hate me. That He'll answer my prayers. That He'll forgive me."