26 Brilliance

And men said that the blood of the stars flowed in her veins.

C. S. Lewis

The golden sun rays seep in through the living room glass wall and ease into the brilliance of his irises, melting into them, lightening them up yet burning out in there, making them look like dying ambers and molten lava— making them look predato...

The golden sun rays seep in through the living room glass wall and ease into the brilliance of his irises, melting into them, lightening them up yet burning out in there, making them look like dying ambers and molten lava— making them look predatory and unnatural. But the childlike curiosity in his eyes tugs at the strings of her heart, so innocent that she cannot resist. Burq might cut her with his sharp edges yet she cannot help running her fingers over them. Leyla feels spellbound.

He releases the strand of her hair he has been playing with and leans forward attentively. "Continue," he requests.

She smiles and proceeds with the story she has been telling him, "Upon being caught, the wife of his master starts putting allegations upon him, asking her husband what punishment he must give his slave for trying to harass his wife. A trial was run and Yusuf was proven innocent, yet was sent to the prison for a crime he never committed."

He chuckles humorlessly. "Ah, cruel, cruel world full of hypocrites."

"Fear is an intense emotion," she replies.

"So is passion, my love."

She dismisses the sarcasm in his comment and returns to the story. "Yusuf was in prison for many years, but remained steadfast and patient, and continued to worship God and sought His help. Then once two men came to him in the prison who were prisoners too, saying how Yusuf appeared a righteous man to them and they both had seen dreams they wanted him to interpret for them. Like his father Yaqub, the knowledge of interpretation of dreams was revealed upon Yusuf in prison and thus, he interpreted their dreams for them, telling one of them was going to be executed and that the other one would be released of prison. Yusuf asked the man who he told would be set free to mention him to their king, and he agreed. Soon after, the interpretation of their dreams came true, and one of them was executed while the other one was released. But he forgot to mention Yusuf to the king."

Subconsciously, Leyla fidgets with the sleeve of Burq's sweater, then let it go and traces a line up his wrist to his palm with her index finger. He opens his hand to her and she randomly draws circles on it.

"Time passed," she continues, "and then one day the king had a dream. He asked around his palace if anyone could interpret it for him, but no one could. And then, the prisoner who was released suddenly thought of Yusuf and remembered what he had asked him. He mentioned Yusuf to the king, and the king demanded his presence. And Yusuf, of course, by God's divine knowledge bestowed upon him interpreted the king's dream for him, telling him how the lands were going to see seven good years of planting and harvesting, and to save during that, before comes seven difficult years of famine. The king was satisfied with his interpretation, and released him from the prison and decided to give him an important government position. Thus, Yusuf became the treasurer of Egypt."