Chapter 1

AUGUST 

13 years prior (first day of school) - Age: 5 

This kid is crazy. And he's chosen to sit next to me at recess. I think he said his name was William Hughes, but I wouldn't know he was saying a million other things at the same time. Mum says I do this thing where if I see something I like better I'll tune everything else out around me. This is exactly what happens when I spot the most beautiful girl I have ever laid eyes on. She has honey-coloured hair and yellowy-green eyes which I think are now my favourite colour. The teacher is with her and I realise they're walking over to us. I snap out of it when Miss Hernandez started to talk to... William? 

"William, Delaney here was skipping with her friends and has scrapped her knees. She wanted to come to talk to you because you calm her down," I look down and see her knees bleeding... a lot. Why would she want William? I could calm her down if I tried I guess. "August would you mind getting the first aid that's on the table in the classroom over there while William calms his sister down?" 

Oh. Well now I feel stupid, obviously, Delaney wants William because he is her brother. I knew that. Running inside I get the first aid as fast as I can so Delaney doesn't bleed out and then hopefully if she stops crying her eyes out I can introduce myself. Mum says it's polite to do that. 

By the time Miss Hernandez finishes wrapping Delaney's knees, she stopped crying and was laughing at the really bad jokes William was making. After he became serious about dealing with Delaney I think that we could be friends and seeing as Delaney mentioned something about William trying out for hockey after school I at least have something we can relate with. Delaney ran off after saying goodbye to William and didn't even give me the chance to talk to her. I watched her skip with her friends for the rest of the recess and made friends with William. 

Present Day (first day of senior year) - Age: 18 

She's still as gorgeous as the day I first met her. Our group was sitting at our usual table in our usual seats, mine being the perfect angle to sneak glances at Laney when I can. She hates that nickna- actually scratch that she hates me. Her burning passion is hating me and she will remain that way until the day that I die. I don't think that she could care less about me but the possibility of her trying to avoid me will never happen because she simply wouldn't be able to live without me. She relies too much on me irritating the hell out of her. 

I see her look over in my direction from a few tables over, naturally, I wink and as per usual she rolls her eyes, so hard they nearly roll to the back of her head. I laugh and look away because of my short time of zoning out from our group I realise they're all staring at me. Turns out Peter asked a question. Peter, if he weren't on the team he would be my worst enemy. Why, you ask because not only is he the most obnoxious person I have ever met but he also happens to be dating the most out-of-his-league person possible. Yep, you guessed it; Laney. 

"You coming to the party tonight man, I hear that Layla chick is gonna be there. You might get lucky," Peter is also the most vile person when it comes to parties and girls. I don't know how Laney can stand him and better yet trust him. Not when there is a blonde getting undoubtedly close to him right now. 

"Come on, Carter, it's Senior year and our last first day, let's at least celebrate it before the coach gets on our backs about the season," Willy claps me on the shoulder making sure it's not my already injured one. Willy or William Hughes is the best hockey player I know out there, he also happens to be my best friend and better yet Laney's twin brother. He's been there with me through thick and thin obviously I might not be his number 1 because of his girlfriend, Francesca or Frankie but I guess I'm happy being second one time for Frankie only. I've known since the day he asked her out as a freshman that I will never equivalate to her. 

"Yeah, ok I'll go," just because I'm going means that I'll stay for hours on end. I turn to talk to Willy privately, "Is Frankie going?" Because if Frankie is going that means that Delaney is going. They have been best friends since the first ever day of school and don't go anywhere without each other and if they do something is seriously wrong. They also have Blake Sutton in their group, who is also never far behind them. 

"Yep. The girls are carpooling with me if you wanna join, there'll be room?"

"Sure, I'll be ready by 7," I say a little more upbeat about going. The bell ringing to signal the end of lunch. 

I hope the first chapter was enjoyable and that you liked reading from August's point of view and the backstory of his little love. I also enjoy reading from the Males P.O.V. Lots of love, Lu <3 

Song - Forever Winter: Taylor Swift 

Words - 917