5

"I'm dishonest, and a dishonest man you can always trust to be dishonest. Honestly. It's the honest ones you want to watch out for, because you can never predict when they're going to do something incredibly ... stupid." - Captain Jack Sparrow. Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of The Black Pearl.

Years: 122ac - 124ac

Location: Winterfell

The first year that had passed of Frost Fall (October), Lord Bennard Stark had nearly spent all of the wealth that former Lord Rickon Stark had in his own possession. Unnecessary Name Day celebrations for his sons and especially his own.

Food ran scarce.

It was up to Cregan, Brandeth, Arra, Dralarys, and a few men to go find food for Winterfell's people.

There was a time where Bennard and Brandon wanted to ride on Valgan's back, but Valgan does not take likely towards strangers. Bennard wanted the beast out. Dralarys yelled at him and behind her yelled Valgan, feeling her rage all the same.

Bennard and Brandon never tried again.

The Second Year, Bennard wanted Dralarys to be more lady-like. Saying things like "Girls like you should not have to train and be a man."

Cregan became defensive with what little say he had and defended her by saying, "She is here on behalf of The King. To train and be a warrior. Not a lady in waiting. If you have a problem, you can have someone write you a letter and send it out."

Lord Bennard never did and struck Cregan Stark using his back hand. "You need to learn respect." Was all that he said and nothing more.

By the Third Year, Lord Bennard had grown slightly drunk with the title and power he had over Winterfell. He was angry when Cregan Stark became of age during The Last Seed (August) and he had retrieved his fathers title.

All that was left for Lord Bennard to do was to step away from the duties of a Lord and announce it to the people of Winterfell.

Cregan Stark, now 6 and 10, walked alongside 12 year old Dralarys inside the Great Halls.

"My Lord... I cannot bring anymore chicken eggs. Our food is low and so I cannot, let alone, feed the chickens the proper amount without coin."

Lord Bennard, drunk and unwilling to listen to anything that had to deal with money, had enough talk for the day. It was hardly high noon. "Enough of this. We will speak in the 'morrow."

"But—-My Lord—-"

"—Uncle." Cregan stepped close to the center with the man who was literally begging on his knees asking for help. "Sir Harrow—" One of the few farmers around Winterfell who had long provided for them. "—-Go home. Take this." Cregan Stark pulled out a few silver coins to him. It was enough for feeding himself and his farm.

"Lord Stark—-"

This offended Bennard. "—-you heard the boy. Go."

The old man struggled to get up. Cregan helped and had one of the guards guide him with the rest.

Everyone who wanted to speak to Lord Bennard had left since it was clear that Bennard was finished taking in matters. "Uncle." Bennard grunts with much annoyance. "Three years ago, you swore to me that once I was of age that you would go back home and I was to be made Lord of Winterfell. Now that I am... I can see that you have broken what you have sworn to me."

"I have made no such promises." Bennard looks at him from the chair he sat in, holding his cup of wine. His sons at his side. Brandon holding the handle of his sword that was on his hip.