ᶜʰᵃᵖᵗᵉʳ ᶠⁱᶠᵗᵉᵉⁿ

The morning after Ariel's birthday party, the group decided it was probably best that they stay the night and help Paige clean up in the morning, especially since they had work off. Of course, Alex was the one to say that they had work off so when the clock ran 7 a.m., everyone's phones began to ring.

"I can not believe we believed Alex, out of the people in the world," Cristina grunted as she rushed to put her shoes on.

"Oh come, guys, I was gonna tell you last night but I guess I just forgot." Alex shrugged his shoulders, not bothered by the high chance of being fired.

"Forgot? Please you were asleep before Ariel-" Cristina opened the door as Isabell interrupted.

"Holding a fake ice cream cone and-"

"Cuddling a Barbie doll." Meredith finishes with the girls holding proud looks, as he stares at them speechless.

"Alright, you toddlers, let us get going before we end up thrown out a window." Paige ushers everyone out, with Ariel in Alex's arms. They all took their cars, with Alex riding with Paige and Ariel.

As Alex puts Ariel in her pink car seat, he notices a purple thing in the corner of his eye. He ignores it as he gets in the car himself but as Paige reverses, he said,

"Hey! That's the gift I got, a-" Paige knocks him on the back of his head before he could say anything else, her eyes daring him to finish that sentence in front of a 2-year-old.

He grabs the back of his head, rubbing it before whispering, "She would've loved it." He turns back to face Ariel, "You would have loved it.". He laughs with her as she wonders how crazy this man is.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

After carefully sneaking past Bailey and her motherly rage, Paige gets appointed to collect Jake,'s charts and recent testing however she stops before reaching the nurse's station to see Meredith talking to a strange but devilishly handsome man. She watches them smile at each other and almost sees the tension grow as she spots Derek staring them down from the floor above.

Trying to get her friend out of trouble, she rushes forward and grabs Meredith's arm, "12 o'clock."She whispered in her friend's ear, but Meredith managed to get out of her grasp.

She turns to the stranger and Meredith, "Oh I'm sorry, am I interrupting? Meredith, it's 12 o'clock, we need to go." She grabbed her arm again but that stranger spoke up,

"What happens at 12 o'clock?"

She pauses, coughing, trying to think of something, "It's lunch. We're on a tight schedule."

The stranger smirks, his eyes lifting as amusement fills him, "I didn't know staff lunch was so important, nor that the food was that good."

"Yeah well, there's a thing, and we have to get that thing." She nods, trying to convince herself of this ridiculous lie, "Anyways we better go, you know, to get the thing. Bye."

Before the stranger could say anything, he watched as the pair sped off, seeing the cute brunette look back before turning a corner and smiling.

Once the group had actually had lunch, gossiping about how nurse Janet was having an affair with the janitor. However once lunch was done, they all went their separate ways. Paige had been in deep thought since she saved Meredith from a huge mistake -the stranger- but didn't notice someone walking in front of her. As she stumbled back, she looked up to see the stranger, only realizing that he was holding her from falling back.

"Sorry, I should have been looking where I was going." He apologized and quickly let go of her.

She composed herself before fixing her folders, "I wasn't really looking either."

"I'm Mark," he puts his hand out, "Mark Sloan."

She looked between his smirk and his hand ready to introduce herself but before she could, her pager started violently vibrating.

"Sorry, I'm going to have to take this." She apologizes, giving him an apologetic look. She takes a few steps before he questions,

"I'll take it that it's a really good lunch again?"

She turns around, starting to walk backward, laughing a bit, "I see what you did there. I've got to say the lunch is better than your pick-up lines. You should come." She smirks watching as his eyes slightly widen.

"Guess we'll have to make it a date." She shakes her head at his horrid flirting, with a small smile on her face and turns around.

Just going out of Mark's view, she quickly heard a thump and retraced her steps. Her jaw dropped when she saw Derek sitting on top of Mark, hitting him. She ran to the pair, trying to push Derek off.

"Derek, what the hell are you doing?" As a group began to watch, her friends joined quickly. Meredith attempted to help Paige to get Derek away from Mark and when they finally succeeded, Meredith quickly looked him over but before he had time to recover, Mark got up and landed a hard-headed punch to Derek's temple nearly knocking him out. Paige reacted quickly and started pushing Mark away from Derek. After creating enough space between the two men, she glanced to see Derek still lying on the floor.

"What happened? One second you're asking me out on a date and then you nearly knocked out the best neurosurgeon in the country."

He quickly pointed to Derek, acting like a 5-year-old, "He started it!" and then frowned, "You didn't give me an answer."

"That's what you're worried about?" she crossed her arms, totally flabbergasted at his lack of empathy. "Why would I even say yes to a complete stranger, who I know nothing about-"

"You know my name. It's Mark, if you forgot."

"Who also just hit one of oldest friends?" she raised an eyebrow,  waiting for him to actually act his age.

"Yeah, he is old isn't he?" Paige slapped him on the arm before starting to walk away.

"Oh come on, it was a joke." However, Mark grabbed onto her wrist stopping her in her tracks. "Look, I'll apologize if you, and only if you go on a date with me."

"Oh, so now you're using blackmail?"

"Oh, you're so feisty. Just have some faith."

She stared at him confused, "What?"

"Take a leap of faith. You never know what might come."

She looked back to see Detek staring at them and she sighed to herself, wondering how she got into this very troubling mess.

a/n
So it's been a while...
And I just want to say thank you to everyone who has read, voted, and commented on this story. I also want to shout out my 29(now 30) very loyal followers for staying while I was inactive for 6/7 months. I will be updating more, I just hope you all enjoy and stay for the rest( might as well if you've come back after half a year lol).

Plus, I thought it was only right to start the new year with the lovers meeting each other for the first time!

anyways, love you all

kimi