chapter seventeen

While the two egotistical men stared each other down, Paige awkwardly stood there watching them but she noticed the way Jake looked happy. Paige wanted a normal life for Jake, one where he didn't feel insecure or get bullied because of how he looked but his condition was rare and Mark just sold him an impossible life.

"You hear that? I'm gonna have bone structure." Jake looked at all the doctors with a smile on his face, almost looking like a different person. However, his mood slightly changed as his parents walked into the room, holding on to each other for dear life.

"Jake."

He looks to his parents, "What do you think am I Dali or more of a Picasso?"

His father faced Mark and restlessly asked him to stop drawing on his son's face. He took a deep breath in before turning to his son, "Jake, Jake I'm sorry. This surgery, the brain surgery is very dangerous."

"Oh don't say that. You, you don't get to change your mind."

Derek looks between the son and father before stepping in, "You know I know Dr. Sloan has made you some big promises ... but the bony tumors inside your skull are bad."

"I don't care!"

Derek attempts to explain the risks so Jake understands instead he shakes his head, his face showing desperation. When the room eventually became quiet, Mark quickly filled the silence.

"Jake is right. No reason to put him through a second surgery and a second round of anesthesia." Jake's mom refused until she saw how happy he looked for the first time in years since he was a baby. Her heart broke seeing her son becoming his person, the fact he would do anything to live a 'normal' life, to have friends, to feel like a human.

"Look, I...I know that you think I'm perfect just the way I am but ... that's your job to do that. But ... for once in my life, I'd like to think that someone else thought that. Please Please?"

Mark glanced at Paige and saw a sliver of a tear forming, and for the first time he met her, she looked even more beautiful. He hadn't seen any other emotion than anger, but when he saw her notice him looking, she quickly shut him out emotionally. She stood straight again and quickly left the room when Derek went to prep the OR for Jake's operation.

He managed to catch up fast, grabbing her arm softly to get her attention. "Paige."

She turned to face him, her face narrowing, "Dr Sloan."

He ignored her look and quickly wrote something on a small piece of paper. "The time you need to be ready, I'll be out in the front of hospital." He handed the paper and left her confused.

She opened it up to see a time which was conveniently a few minutes before she finished her shift. She ignored the weird feeling in her stomach for the next few hours. Was it excitement?

No of course not. She was angry at Mark, he blackmailed her and punched her best friend and is an overall -

Her watch beeped. It was the end of her shift. It was also 5 minutes before she had to meet Mark. She grabbed her things and headed out. She didn't see him until she saw a car roll up in front of her. It was Mark, who had changed into casual clothes. "Paige, get in!"

She raised an eyebrow before getting into the car. He sped off the second she closed the door and she shook her head, "There are speed limits, Dr Sloan."

he glanced at her. There was something in his eye that scared her. That look she'd seen before, she felt it before. She didn't know what to call it but she knew it was dangerous. Lively but dangerous.

Once he had looked away, she finally saw where he was driving. "I hope you're not a serial killer. These woods are not the best thing to run in at night." She jokes, watching his reaction while the night shadows dance across his face. The corner of his lip lifted, and her face uncontrollably smiled back. What was she doing?

She only met Mark a month ago and she's just letting him take her into the forest where no one knows where she is. What was she doing?

The car slowly stopped, and he drove to a cliff but the whole city was in view. The lights sparkled in the distance, teasing the two of all things they could be doing.

He stepped out of the car and sat on the hood which Paige followed. She looked at his face and she could see it so clearly in the midnight light, his brown eyes hiding his life story, his lips storing every word he ever spoke. However, he quickly broke the glance by looking at her.

"I come here, now and then when I know a patient I'm about to do surgery on isn't going to make it." He looks from the city to the stars and points to the brightest one, "That was a little girl who had cancer, she had a tumor on her face. She told me of all the things she wanted to do, the places she wanted to see, and the friends she was going to make but the one thing she could not wait for... was to see me, after the surgery. She'd said that I was the best friend she had ever made and that her one wish was to see me. She didn't last 5 minutes on the table, her heart gave out and I had to tell her parents that she died. On my watch."

Her eyes glistened from the story, watching emotions wash over Mark. She didn't think she would have seen him let her see this side of him but it was touching.

"I saw you... in Jake's room and I thought that maybe you needed to just rennet that no matter what happens, hell still makes a difference. Whether on earth or in the stars."

a/n-
okay, so what do we think?
it's kinda of a part of an episode but
not really. plus I like to think that in some multiverse there is a soft Mark.

kimi
X

p.s THANK YOU EVERYONE!!!!!
The book has reached 37k views and over 1k votes!!
OMG
Thank you so much, thank so so so much. I know I don't write the best quality in the world but knowing that you are choosing to read it and vote on it, makes my whole life!
so thank you, thank you from the bottom of my heart.