Chapter Eight

That night, Viserys had taken to his wine

That night, Viserys had taken to his wine. He had looked for his wife upon returning from his ride into the Kingswood, but she had disappeared into the royal tent. Viserys had tried to speak with his wife but her guard had not allowed him entry, stating that the Queen was resting on the advice of the maesters.

"Your Grace," Jason Lannister spoke, tearing the King out of his thoughts. Viserys was confused at the sight of the large spear in Lord Jason's hands. "I had this forged in the Golden Gallery in honor of Prince Daemion."

When the King didn't respond, Lord Jason looked to a nearby servant, Motioning for them to hand the weapon to the King. Viserys took the large spear, turning it in his hands as he inspected the craft.

"It's quite a thing." the King spoke.

"I hope it might provide the Killing stroke against your white hart. The King of the Kingswood. It's as if the Seven themselves have blessed this day."

"Thank you, for your generosity." Viserys spoke, handing the weapon off to a servant. The King reached for his goblet, hoping Lord Jason had gotten the hint to leave but of course he had not.

"I would be honored to take the Princess Rhaenyra to wife, Your Grace. What I offer you, the crown and your daughter is strength." The Lord looked smug.

But Viserys was insulted, "Do you think that House Targaryen wants for strength?"

"If someone offered you more dragons, would you not take them?"

"Do you have dragons to offer?"

"Casterly Rock is a splendid seat." Lord Jason defended himself. "Rhaenyra may take her place there by my side without shame, and feel herself well compensated for her loss in station."

"What loss of station?"

"If you were to name young Daemion heir, Your Grace."

"And when would I be doing that?"

"I had assumed, as he's your firstborn son. Well, many of us had assumed-"

"Many of us, you say? Have your bannermen questioned my choice of heir?"

"Of course not, Your Grace."

"It is your sworn duty to report rebellion stirring in my kingdom."

"Rebellion? There has been nothing of the sort, Your Grace. I only-"

"I did not decide to name Rhaenyra my heir on a whim. All the lords of the Kingdom would do well to remember that." When Lord Jason didn't speak, Viserys dismissed the man. "Thank you, for the gift."

For a brief moment, Viserys had silence. Had time to think. Until Otto's grating voice filled his ears, as the older man sat on a chair beside the throne.

"The huntsman has the trail, Your Grace, and has sent out the hounds. It won't be long now until the white hart is cornered. Your Prize is within reach." Viserys merely spared his Hand a glance, before the man continued speaking. "What do you make of Lord Jason's proposal?"