Chapter Twenty

The flame from the fireplace was the only light cast around Hightide's Great hall. Camilla stood beside her son holding his hand and cooing encouraging words as the Maester stitched the wound where his eye was meant to be closed. Maegella stood behind her mother, wrapped tightly in Daenyra's arms. A cut across her cheek had bled so profusely that one side of her bodice was drenched in blood. Helaena stood nearby whispering about insects in an attempt to distract the young girl from her pain and fear. Aemond and Maegella had been attacked when they entered the castle, ambushed by Rhaenyra's savage children.

"How could you allow such a thing to happen? I will have answers." Viserys questioned.

"The princes were supposed to be abed, my King." Ser Harrold answered.

"Who had the watch?"

"Young prince was attacked by his own nephews, Your Grace." Ser Criston spoke up this time.

"You swore oaths to protect and defend my blood!" Viserys roared.

"I'm very sorry, Your Grace." Ser Harrold apologized.

"The King's Guard has never had to defend princes from princes, Your Grace." Ser Criston defended himself and the rest of the King's Guards.

"That is no answer!" Viserys yelled, getting in the knight's face.

It will heal, will it not?" Camilla asked the Maester as everyone in the room turned awaiting his response. Her heart fell as the Maester shook his head.

"The flesh will heal. But the eye is lost, Your Grace."

"Why was no one there to protect my children?" Camilla jumped to her feet, glaring at everyone in the room.

At the sound of Aemond's whimper of pain, she knelt back down. Grabbing his hand tight and pressing a kiss to the blood stained skin.

"I'm right here, my darling boy. It'll be alright. You'll be alright." Camilla whispered, without tearing her eyes from her son, she addressed the maester. "Is there nothing more you can give him for the pain?"

The maester shook his head. "I'm sorry, Your Grace, I've given him all the milk of poppy I can. I shall administer a draught to help the young prince find sleep."

The doors swung open as Lord Corlys and Princess Rhaenys entered the room.

"What is the meaning of this?" Lord Corlys yelled as he raced down the stairs.

"Baela? Rhaena? What happened?" Princess Rhaenys asked as the two girls ran to their grandmother.

At the same time Rhaenyra entered the room calling for her sons, quickly followed by Daemon. Anger flooded Camilla as she glared at the Rogue Prince before turning back to her son, her gaze softening at Aemond's whimper of pain.