Chapter Twenty-Two

Following Lady Laena's funeral, rumors quickly spread that Rhaenyra had schemed to murder Ser Laenor

Following Lady Laena's funeral, rumors quickly spread that Rhaenyra had schemed to murder Ser Laenor. The young father had been attacked by his paramor and fell into a raging fire in the hall of Hightide. When the guards had finally arrived and pulled his body from the flames, Ser Laenor's head had been burnt beyond recognition. Rhaenyra had fled to Dragonstone with her sons while Camilla returned to Driftmark to offer her condolences to the grieving parents.

Lord Corlys and Princess Rhaenys had welcomed their Queen, listening as the younger women spoke of the future of Driftmark. The mother and father's grief had been easy to manipulate, Camilla's honeyed words seeped into their minds swaying them to her side. Lord Corlys' only protest had been his granddaughter's surname which Camilla easily reminded him that a name could be changed.

So plans were made for Baela to shed the Targaryen name, and when the time came she would become Lady Baela Velaryon and Master of Driftmark. Camilla had smiled at Lord Corlys' agreement, though kept secret from the realm and Rhaenyra, Camilla couldn't wait for the day Rhaenyra found out. A suggestion of a future betrothal between Baela and Aegon or Aemond had also passed between the three, visits were scheduled so Baela could see her father and sister and choose her betrothed.

A surprising friendship slowly grew between the King's second son and Driftmark's heir. At first the two had argued and bickered at every turn, the dragon's temper burning in both of them. Camilla had shared her worries with Daemon in the privacy of her chambers. Wondering if she had doomed the two to a loveless marriage like her own. Though one day the sound of bickering turned to laughter as the two cousins ran through the halls of the Red Keep. That night at dinner the two had sat beside each other without a single complaint, whispering in each other's ears and sharing soft touches.

Camilla had been amazed by the smile on her second son's face and the way his eyes lit up. She had pulled Baela aside during one visit, thanking the young girl for giving Aegon an opportunity, a chance at happiness.

In the seven years that had passed, Viserys had been confined to his bed. Rotting away as the illness took more and more of him until half of the King's face was hidden behind a golden mask, molded to resemble his face. As her husband lay on his deathbed Camilla and Daemon were secretly wed in the way of their ancestors. Their children had watched the ceremony in awe and slight confusion.

Daemion had questioned the relationship, those his reservations had nothing to do with his dying father. He had wanted to know if the reason behind the union was love, wishing for nothing more than his mother to be with someone that made her happy and appreciated her. It was while watching the ceremony he had noticed the way Prince Daemon looked at his mother, his eyes soft as he gazed down at her, the corners of his lips turning up at the corners as if he couldn't keep the smile from his face. Daemion had approved the match then, welcoming Daemon into their close knit family.