Chapter Nine

After what the lords of Westeros considered a successful hunt and Rhaenyra's surprising return covered in blood, Camilla feared that Viserys would give in to the pressure the noble houses placed on him to name Daemion heir

After what the lords of Westeros considered a successful hunt and Rhaenyra's surprising return covered in blood, Camilla feared that Viserys would give in to the pressure the noble houses placed on him to name Daemion heir. And while the King remained steadfast in the public's eyes, in private moments Viserys spoke of his doubts and concerns over his chosen heir. Her husband worried over his choice, wondering if naming Rhaenyra as his heir was the right decision.

Camilla tried her hardest to convince Viserys not to doubt himself. Though with everyday she feared he would be swayed by his Small Council and the lords of the realm, that young Daemion would be named heir and supplant Rhaenyra. And if that happened what would stop Rhaenyra from sharing the truth of the twins' paternity. Camilla did not doubt for a second that in the midst of her anger, Rhaenyra would burn Camilla and her children to the ground.

No, nothing Camilla loved would be safe from the vitriol and flames Rhaenyra would spit. She would destroy everything Camilla held dear without remorse. Luckily for Camilla, after the hunt Rhaenyra had swiftly been sent on a tour of the realm, with the goal that the Crown Princess would find a suitable husband. With Rhaenyra far away from the Red Keep and unaware of the Small Council's attempts at persuasion, Camilla was the only one defending her claim to the Iron Throne. Though the Queen and mother of four had to admit she was growing tired of fighting against what seemed to be inevitable.

★・・・・・・★

The Great hall had filled quickly when word of a dragon being spotted flying over the Blackwater bay had spread. The nobles that resided in the Red Keep flooded into the throne room, eager to find a place to watch the Targaryen brothers' reunion. Everyone seemed eager to hear of the Rogue Prince and Sea Snake's victory against the Triarchy, well, except for Camilla.

The Queen took her place on a platform slightly below the Iron Throne. Blades protruded from the stone floor, encircling the spot Viserys had cleared out for Camilla. Alicent had swooned over the gesture, thinking it romantic and a symbol of how highly the King thought of his wife. Though Camilla knew the truth, it was a pedestal meant to show off the King's prized possession, for that's all women are. An object, something for men to fight over and own.

Camilla wondered if a woman could ever truly own herself, or if she was always a possession. Before marriage, girls were thought of as their father's property until they were bought by their husband. And if she had children, she belonged to her son. Women were not beings with thoughts and feelings, they were only wombs and something to be admired as long as they had their youth and beauty.

The sound of the doors opening pierced the tension filling the room as its occupants stood with baited breath, snapping Camilla from her thoughts. One hand stroked her deflated belly, thinking of her children in an effort to calm herself. Camilla pushed her shoulders back, wanting to give off an appearance of confidence she did not feel as a figure rounded the corner.