Chapter Twenty-Three

A storm brewed in the distance as a wheelhouse carrying House Velaryon entered the outer courtyard. Camilla had stood on the steps of the Red Keep flanked by Daemon and Rhaena on one side and Aegon on the other. She smiled as she looked at her second eldest son, Aegon was practically bouncing on the balls of his feet from excitement as the carriage came to a stop in front of the steps. Camilla watched as Princess Rhaenys exited, followed closely by Baela, at the sight of his betrothed, a grin spread across the Prince's face.

"Go on, Aegon." The words had barely left Camilla's lips before Aegon was running down the steps throwing the heir to Driftmark over his shoulder and spinning around.

Rhaenys came to stand by her other stepdaughter, smiles spread across everyone's lips as they watched the young couple. Laughter filled the courtyard as Baela had begun hitting Aegon on the back, yelling at him to put her down through giggles.

"It seems as if you were correct to suggest the match, Your Grace." Princess Rhaenys spoke.

"Thank you, Princess. How comes Baela's studies? Has she the makings of a great Lady of the Tides?"

"Just as Aegon will make a fine Lord of Driftmark."

With that Camilla turned back to look at her son and his betrothed, she couldn't stop the laugh spilling from her lips as she called for Aegon to stop. Aegon stumbled to a halt, a giant grin on his face as he put Baela back on her feet. He pressed a quick kiss to the back of her hand before pulling her to the steps.

Baela dropped into a curtsy before Camilla, greeting the older woman. "Your Grace."

"There is no need for formalities Baela, we are family." Camilla smiled at the young girl. "Your Grandmother tells me of your studies, she speaks very highly of you. Why don't I show you to your chambers, I'm sure you are tired from your journey. I've asked the kitchen to prepare a meal for the three of you to take in Rhaena' chambers, I thought you might wish to enjoy some time alone with Rhaena."

"Thank you, Your Grace." Rhaenys smiled at the woman, though guilt filled her eyes.

There had been a time where Rhaenys had hated the young Queen, blaming her for Laena's death. Though a small part of her had been thankful that Camilla had caught her cousin's eye instead of her young daughter. She especially thanked the Seven when she saw the way Viserys treated Camilla and her children. Daemon may have kept Laena from Driftmark, but at least he hadn't ordered her death or abandoned his children.

The halls of the Red Keep bustled with life as servants rushed from room to room and Nobles strolled around. Though the crowd parted as Camilla led House Velaryon through the halls, the group was in high spirits as Camilla, Daemon and Rhaenys quietly conversed about the young Targaryens. Aegon and the twins followed closely behind, jokes and giggles passing between the three.