Chapter Twelve

The King had been easily persuaded to dismiss his Hand following the allegations made against his daughter. Rhaenyra had agreed to marry the Seasnake's only son if Otto Hightower was no longer Hand of the King, furthering the divide between the three friends.

Alicent had shown up at Camilla's door, crying for her father and herself. She didn't wish to leave the only home she had ever known, nor leave her friend. Camilla had held her while she cried, attempting to soothe her childhood companion. For as long as Camilla could remember Alicent had been the strong one. She had always been the one comforting Camilla and Rhaenyra, holding them while they cried, making sure they ate, dragging them from the depths of their sadness and grief. And now Alicent would no longer be there.

Camilla felt as if she had taken her friend for granted, pushing the knowledge that their time was limited to the back of her mind. She had truly thought she might be able to convince Viserys to allow Alicent to stay somehow, especially if Rhaenyra had been on her side.

But Rhaenyra had left with her father to Driftmark with the intention to secure a match for the Princess. Camilla did not know if Rhaenyra had said her goodbyes, or if she even realized what she had done by sending Otto Hightower away. Camilla wouldn't be surprised if she was truely clueless, as time went on Camilla began to see Rhaenyra as thoughtless and self-serving.

"A moment." Camilla called. Rain fell around her as she rushed through the outer courtyard, nearing the open gate Alicent and her father stood under, watching as their belongings were loaded into a carriage.

Alicent whipped around at her friend's voice. The two girls crashed into each other, tightly wrapping the other in the arms.

"I do not wish to see you go." Camilla whispered, tears welling up in her eyes.

"It cannot be stopped." Matching tears flooded Alicent's kind brown eyes.

"You'll write, won't you?" Camilla slightly pulled away, though the two were still almost chest to chest only a small distance separating them.

"Of course." Alicent promised, her smile watery. "I'll tell you all of Oldtown and you'll update me on the children."

"We will meet again at your wedding, no lord would turn away the chance to host the Queen."

"I'll write to you once I know the date."

"I look forward to hearing from you." Camilla smiled. "I have never attended a wedding except mine own, nor have I left King's Landing before. It will be an adventure to travel across the realm."

"It is time to go, Alicent." Otto Hightower's clear voice came from behind his daughter, his large from towering over her smaller one. A glance towards the waiting carriage showed the servants had finished, now waiting on Alicent and Otto.