Chapter Twenty-Four

Rhaenyra and her sons had fled King's Landing before Daemon and Camilla had even left the Great Hall. Once again Rhaenyra had sailed to Dragonstone as if her ancestor's home could protect her and her children. Viserys had been sad when Camilla had told him of his daughter's departure, spinning a tale of how Lucerys had been reaffirmed as Driftmark's heir and as soon as Rhaenyra had gotten what she wanted she had left without a word. The man had wept at that, calling out for his daughter, referring to her as his only child. This had angered Camilla, causing her to storm out to the King's chambers before she did something foolish, like hold a pillow over his face till he stopped breathing. Part of Camilla thought that would be a mercy for the man, he had long since been dead in her eyes.

Camilla's eyes fluttered open, something had woken her. She looked to her left seeing Daemon's sleeping form, his soft snores filling the room. Knowing Daemon had not been the cause of her sudden alertness, Camilla looked around for a clue about what had broken her from a deep sleep.

Knock.

A head of white hair turned towards the door to her chambers as she sat up. She stared at it questioning why someone would be at her door. Violet eyes flicked to the windows lining one of the walls of her room only to see pitch darkness.

"Come," Camilla called, the end of the word lilting as she yawned.

Camilla rubbed her eyes as the door opened and closed behind someone. Opening her eyes, Camilla saw her Lady-in-waiting Elsbeth. "What could possibly be needed at this hour, Elsbeth?"

Beside her Daemon stirred, the sheets falling to his waist and revealing his naked torso as he sat up.

"What is so important that it cannot wait for the sun to rise?" He groaned as a strong arm wrapped around Camilla's waist and pulled her into his chest.

"The King is dead, Your Grace."

Camilla sat up straighter, her mind waking up fully at the words. "Are you sure?"

"A page discovered him, Your Grace."

"Who knows?" Daemon asked.

"Only the boy and I, my Prince."

"We must keep it that way." Daemon whispered to Camilla, pressing a kiss to her exposed shoulder.

"Of course." Camilla nodded at Daemon's words, turning back to where Elsbeth stood. "Fetch the Hand, tell him to call on the Small Council."

"Right away, Your Grace." Elsbeth nodded, though she made no move to leave the room. "Shall I wake Diana or Sedna to ready you for the day?"

"No." Daemon responded before Camilla had the chance.

Elsbeth once again nodded before rushing from the room. As the door swung shut Camilla slipped out of the bed and moved to her wardrobe. Different colors and shades and fabrics were pushed to the side in Camilla's search for a suitable dress. What did one wear after learning of their husband's death? Especially after planning for his death for years and stealing the throne out from under his named heir.