Chapter Nineteen

House Targaryen had quickly descended onto Driftmark upon receiving news of Lady Laena Velaryon's death, the second tragedy to befall the Royal family in such a short amount of time. Harrenhall had burned, trapping the Hand of the King and his eldest son inside and leaving Larys and his young sisters as the only remaining members of House Strong. Well the only legitimate ones.

The sound of waves crashing against the rocks below filled the air, mixing with Ser Vaemond Velaryon's speech. A stone coffin holding the body of Lady Laena Velaryon sat on the edge of a cliff as men wrapped ropes around it.

"We join today at the Seat of the Sea to commit the Lady Laena of House Velaryon to the eternal waters, the dominion of the Merling King, where he will guard her for all the days to come. As she sets to sea for her final voyage, the Lady Laena leaves behind two true-born daughters on the shore. Though their mother will not return from her voyage, they will remain bound in blood." Ser Vaemond's hateful gaze turned to Rhaenyra and her sons. "Salt courses through Velaryon blood. Ours runs thick. Ours runs true. And ours must never thin."

Viserys followed the man's line of sight, turning slightly to look at his daughter. He loudly cleared his throat, causing everyone to look at their King and Ser Vaemond to pause. Camilla wanted to scream as her husband once again protected Rhaenyra, instead she stared straight ahead, her expression remaining neutral.

"My gentle niece," Ser Vaemond continued as the ropes were pulled causing Laena's coffin to slide closer to the edge. "May the winds be as strong as your back, your seas as calm as your spirit, and your nets be as full as your heart. From the sea we came. To the sea we shall return."

A loud splash filled the air as Laena's coffin tumbled over the edge and into the water.

★・・・・・・★

After the funeral, the guests were invited to socialize on a balcony jutting out of the cliffside. Camilla stood beside her husband's pavilion overlooking the crowd, searching for a familiar face. Her children stood nearby, talking quietly amongst themselves. Finally spotting an auburn head of curls, Camilla excused herself.

The crowd parted around her, making way for their Queen. Camilla found Alicent standing beside the wall speaking to her father.

Lady Alicent, Lord Otto." Camilla greeted, causing Alicent to whip around at her old friend's voice.

"Your Grace." Alicent smiled at her friend. "It has been so long."

"Truly, I am sorry I was unable to attend your wedding. The Maesters did not think traveling across the country a good idea."

"There is nothing to forgive." Alicent promised.

Camilla pulled her into a hug, tears budding in her eyes. "I have missed you, Alicent"