Chapter 12*

"Wait wait wait... Is this okay?" He asks me, breaking from the kiss and taking a deep breath as his hands start to twirl my hair. I bite my bottom lip and pull him back into me, his lips so soft, nearly silken and pillowy against mine, breathing each other in before our lips parted enough for me to whisper "does that answer your question, Dr. Reid?"

He let out a slight moan while moving closer to close the gap between our bodies. My heart was pounding so loud, and I have no doubt in my mind that if he pressed his chest against mine he would feel it aggressively trying to escape my ribcage. I ran my fingers through his silky brown curls that framed his face perfectly. The flickering light of the candles on the table making the moment that much more intimate, and I heard him take a breath while he appeared to search for something to say.

"I don't want you to think this is because of what happened in the field" he blurted out, his voice tensing up. I pulled away, the space between us back to what it was before he kissed me, and the bad kind of butterflies filling my stomach.

"What do you mean? Did I do something t-" I asked shyly, looking at his bookshelves to avoid looking into his eyes if he's about to break my heart.

"N-n-no, no not at all. I'm sorry, I said that wrong. I meant to say, I don't want you to think I'm only attracted to you because you allowed me to talk about my own fears while helping me survive that moment" he picked up my hand and leant to the side to try and catch my gaze. I looked back at him, noticing he seemed more nervous than before.

"Can I ask you something?"

"Anything" he replied.

"You said you've never felt like this before. What exactly is... this?" I asked.

"Charlotte, you make me feel... safe, and like I can be myself and you wouldn't be annoyed. I feel happy when you walk into the room, and I know we've only been talking for a few days but I feel like I've known you my whole life. Not only that... but I actively want you to know me – even the parts that I've been scared to share." He's back to fidgeting with his one free hand. "I'm not good at telling people how I feel, it's never really worked for me and I've never really been in..." he trails off and breaks eye contact, his cheeks growing rosy across his shy face.

"Hey, we don't have to do anything at all, or we can take things slowly"

"Maybe this just stays between us, for now. It's just... it's nothing bad, it's just personal and I don't want the team to know." He tried to reason why he wanted to take things slowly, and I just held his hand as his gaze came back to mine.

"I get it. This, whatever you want this to be, is just for us. And that's perfectly okay Spence" He smiles his beautiful smile and my heart just melts. "Thank you for such a fantastic night" I say and concern falls over his face.

"You aren't leaving yet, are you?" He asks abruptly.

"I have nowhere I have to be"

"Good" he says as he moves towards me, putting one hand on the back of my head as his lips crash into mine and he guides me down on the couch with his body weight on mine. He kissed me passionately, his hips meeting mine as my hands played with his hair. The smell of his cologne and the softness of his hair was dizzying, and I could feel thousands of butterflies erupting in my stomach as his teeth gently pulled at my bottom lip. He slips his tongue into my mouth and I follow his lead. I felt like I could be with him forever and my hunger for him would never be satisfied. I kissed him even harder and he started to grind his hips against mine.

Fuck, I've never wanted someone more, and with each gasp of air we breathed in from each other, the more my body screamed for him.

He started kissing down my neck and collarbone, moving one of the small straps off my shoulder as his mouth explored more of my body. I couldn't control the moans coming from my mouth as he suckled at my skin, leaving perfectly purple reminders of him. I worked quickly to unbutton his shirt, exposing his muscular chest. He paused, looking down at my wandering eyes devouring his perfect body, causing his lips to curl into the warmest smile.