Chapter 49

It was a beautiful Saturday morning, the weather was getting better as March neared its closing. I was eight months pregnant, had just started my maternity leave, and the BAU crew was given a weekend off from work. Spence and I had spent the last few weeks preparing the house we bought for move in, and while I wasn't able to do a lot of the work, we still had a ton of fun doing small renovations like painting the nursery and setting up furniture. The BAU had thrown us a beautiful baby shower where everyone was desperate to know if we were having a boy or a girl; something we decided we didn't want to know until the baby arrived.

"Where do you want this one mama?" Derek appeared around the corner carrying a box.

"Just right in the kitchen is great, Morgan, thank you. All of you, thank you for helping us move everything. Reid couldn't have done it alone and I really can't express my gratitude for the muscle power and snacks you all came with" I looked around the room at the whole team, bringing in boxes, furniture, and more from the moving truck.

"Reid ain't doing shit anyway, had we not been here the truck wouldn't even be loaded from his place" Prentiss chimed in as she filled another glass of wine.

"I'll have you know that I did the whole nursery, and only I can remember exactly how the books were arranged on the shelves" Reid yelled from across the room.

"No need to lie, we know you paid the store extra to assemble upon delivery" Hotch added and we all laughed, Reid couldn't even fight back on the statement because it was almost entirely true.

Hours passed by and everything was unloaded from the truck, furniture was reassembled and the ladies had helped with unpacking the kitchen and other miscellaneous boxes. Regardless of weight, every time I tried to pick something up someone from the team would swoop in and remind me not to overexert myself. It was starting to get obnoxious, especially because the last two months consisted of the same dialogue from Spencer. Penelope, JJ, Prentiss and I were all in the kitchen, I was preparing dinner for everyone (with the help of Rossi yelling directions to me) when my attention was pulled elsewhere. A sharp inhale caused everyone in the kitchen to halt and direct their attention to me.

"It's too early!" Penelope screamed before she whipped around to find me staring at my belly, placing my hands on either side. I heard objects falling over and heavy footsteps, quickly Spence appeared in the doorway.

"What's wrong?" He called as he ran over to me.

"Little one's kicking. Like— hard, and a lot" I smiled and winced at the next kick my internal organs took, taking Spencer's hand and placing it on my belly as the baby kicked again. Soon enough everyone was coming over to feel.

"Everyone loves Rossi's pasta sauce" Hotch said as we all stood in the kitchen; Spencer hugging me from behind but keeping a hand on my belly as our little one fluttered around.

The team had left by 9pm, most of the house was almost fully unpacked and ready with only a few boxes remaining. Despite not being able to do much, I was exhausted and had crawled into bed shortly after everyone left; Spencer had stayed downstairs to clean up after dinner while I went to rest. I heard his familiar footsteps coming up the stairs, and then his weight was shifting the mattress as he spooned up behind me.

"I hope our baby has your intellect" I said softly as I nestled against him.

"Technically intelligence isn't fully controlled by biology but—"

"Spence" I cut him off lovingly.

"Right, just enjoy being an expecting parent" he paused and placed a hand on my belly, "I hope our baby has your eyes, and your kind heart" he said as he placed a quick kiss on the back of my head.

"It's gonna feel lonely, just me in this big house every day while you're at work" I said softly, placing my hand over his.

"Please don't do any heavy lifting while I'm at work. Or overexert yourself" he said sternly.

"Wouldn't dream of it. I get to eat ice cream and watch shitty reality tv all day, waiting for my fiancée to come home so I have someone to talk to" I pouted, partially sarcastically.

"Two more weeks. Then I'm off from work for a while"

"What are the odds this baby will come early? Cause I'm so uncomfortable" I groaned as I tried to reposition myself. I felt his weight shift from the mattress before he appeared on my side of the bed, holding my pregnancy pillow. He helped me position it under me and I sighed as it instantly relived the pressure on my back.

"I really hate that thing. I don't get to cuddle with you anymore. It's taken my place" he said sarcastically as he crawled back into bed.

"I'm growing you a human, you have it easy, Reid" I stated matter-of-factly as he turned off the lights and we began to fall asleep.

"Only you could make growing a human look so sexy" he said quietly in my ear before he turned over and fell asleep.