II

I awoke the following morning to find Grayson curled closely beside me. For as long as I could recall, my brother clung to me. He claimed he wished to protect me. However, I always felt he needed protection more than me.

While Joel and I closely resembled Papa, Grayson took his heritage from Mama. His lean, lank body seemed fragile, and his face peaked. He rarely took part in strenuous activities. Instead, he immersed himself in the poetry of Alfred, Lord Tennyson, and Robert Browning. At the moment, he was deeply enthralled with 'Stella' by Lady Charlotte Eliot. I frequently found him sprawled in the pond garden, clasping his volume to his heart and staring into the clouds. Pain and despair etched his face while he considered the tragic verses.

Papa chided Grayson's tender heart, but his compassionate emotions endeared him to me. When nightmares evaded his dreams, he crawled into my bed and sought innocent comfort. I hugged him close throughout the night, and he clung to me.

Miss Young thought it most peculiar that we—brother and sister—should share the same bed. She declared it unnatural. Nevertheless, her attempts to halt the activity failed. Gray often found his way into my chamber at night. I awoke with him at my side on the morning following Miss Plumb's arrival.

I crawled out of bed without disturbing him. Gray slept soundly with his tousled brown hair falling over his forehead and his softly closed eyes. He pulled into the fetal position, and his arms hugged his curled knees. Leaning over him, I kissed his cheek lightly and crept from the bed silently. I did not wish to disturb my middle brother.

Wrapping my dressing gown around me, I tiptoed into the bathroom for my morning ablutions. Several years ago, Papa updated Everstow Hall to include indoor plumbing in the kitchens and converted the water closets into modern bathrooms. The porcelain sinks and clawfoot tubs delighted Grayson and me. We spent ages studying the new toilets and pulling the flushers until Joel chastised us for wasting water.

Gathering my clothing, I entered Miss Young's room to dress. She was waking up when I appeared. I heaped my lilac-sprigged morning dress, bloomers, petticoat, and camisole onto the bottom of her bed and yanked at my night dress.

"You've forgotten your corset, young lady," the governess chided, rising and surveying my garments. "Go along and fetch it."

"Drat!" I muttered, letting go of my nightgown. It recovered my body from neck to ankles. I hoped she would overlook the missing undergarment. I turned to plead with her. "Why should I wear that dreadful thing? Isn't my waist slim enough?" Spanning my tiny waistline with my palms, I accentuated my form.

"You are sixteen, Priscilla," Miss Young countered hotly. "You are a young lady, and young ladies wear corsets regardless of their figures."

"Drat again," I muttered, retreating and re-entering moments later with the confounded garment. I clung to the bedpost while the governess tightened the strings. Finally, she stopped tugging and tied them firmly. I continued to dress and sat while Miss Young braided and coiled my long chestnut hair.

"There!" Miss Young exclaimed, satisfied with my appearance. "You are prepared to face the day."

I hurried to the door but stopped when the governess called my name. Halting abruptly, I turned to face her.

"You're becoming too old to sleep with Grayson," Claudia Young stated briskly. "I insist you give up the practice immediately."

"Whatever for?" I demanded hotly. I paused momentarily, then continued, "You have a dirty mind, Miss Young. Gray wouldn't do anything to harm me, particularly what you are thinking. Gray is...well, Gray's different. He doesn't...he just doesn't... that's all." Turning my back on the governess, I swooped from the room haughtily.