XX

Spencer suggested we ride across the moor the following morning. Miss Young and I went down to breakfast at the appointed hour. Thankfully, the setup was the same as at home. We helped ourselves from the sideboard and sat at the long dining table. Spencer joined us along with Cordelia. Viola appeared with her mother shortly afterward.

"I would like to familiarize you with the surrounding area," my fiancé stated, sitting beside me with a plate of eggs and bangers. "You should never venture onto the moors alone until you are acquainted with the landmarks. It is easy to wander far afield and get hopelessly lost."

"I agree, Priscilla," Miss Young added promptly. "Your father wouldn't appreciate it if I informed him you got lost on the moors."

"Yes, Miss Young," I replied demurely.

After breakfast, I put on my riding habit and joined Spencer at the stables. He presented me with a mottled gray mare named Lulubell. When she nuzzled my arm, I gave her a sugar cube. As I began to mount, Miss Young appeared also in her habit. She insisted on joining us, and Spencer reluctantly provided her with a horse.

We cantered beneath the portcullis and into the wide open spaces. Slowing, Spencer brought his horse next to mine, leaving Miss Young behind us. He spoke of the wild moor lovingly and desired I share his opinion.

"It's much different from the South," my fiancé declared earnestly. "Not everyone feels the same about it as I do. You might become homesick, I fear."

"I most certainly won't," I declared hotly. I longed to share his life in every aspect. Looking around, I felt the vast open space's freedom and exhilaration swept over me.

"Will your dragon accompany you after the wedding?" Spencer asked, leaning close to me.

"Not if I can help it!" I exclaimed boldly. I intended to send the governess on her way as soon as I married. Miss Young and Mr. Blanchard could go their merry way—and perhaps marry as they intended.

The Viscount grinned widely. Spurring his horse, he began to gallop across the grassland. I followed him quickly, leaving Miss Young behind. Hastily, she caught up with us and sputtered words of chastisement. Spencer shot her a contemptuous look. He began to speak, but the sound of horses' hooves beating a staccato behind us flooded his words. Cordelia and Viola drew up beside us.

"I thought we missed you," Cordelia breathed, adjusting her hat. It had tilted during her mad rush to join us. "Shall we take lunch at the Elk? We're near there now."

"Splendid idea, sis," Spencer conceded immediately. I noticed a secret look pass between brother and sister.

"We'll cut across here, Miss Young," the elder sister stated, positioning her mount beside my governess. Viola nudged in close on the other side.

The trio began galloping, and I started to follow. Hastily, Spencer grabbed my bridle, leading my horse in the opposite direction. I protested vehemently, but when he grinned, I fell silent.

We rode far before Spencer pulled up beside a pond he called a tarn. Extending his hand, he helped me to dismount. I tripped and fell into his arms. He laughed heartily, then pressed his lips against mine. I kissed him, then drew back hastily.

"What about Miss Young?" I asked, considering her ire when she realized our separation.

"Forget about her." Spencer drew me closer. "Cordelia and Viola will take care of the dragon. They will have a lovely meal—probably lamb and roast potatoes—at the Elk. Then they will return her home safe and sound."

"I expect she won't enjoy it," I remarked dully. "At a guess, she is furious!"

"Why are we wasting our time speaking of Miss Young?" Spencer demanded, taking me in his arms again. "We have other things to speak about." He kissed me again and pressed closer urgently.