XXVIII

Christmas approached quickly following Grayson's arrival. We brought in the Yule log and decorated a Christmas tree. Anne Marie and Sybil strung dried oranges and lemons to create a festive garland. Out of the corner of my eye, I noticed my brother kiss his companion beneath the mistletoe. A tight smile crossed my face. I pictured Spencer embracing me and stealing a kiss. I wondered how he celebrated the holiday in Yorkshire.

Although Spence hadn't written in quite a while, I kept an eye out for a package from him. The previous week, I sent his gift—a lovely pair of kid leather gloves. I expected something in return and watched daily for the mail's arrival. Time grew shorter, and nothing appeared. Anxiety welled inside me.

Miss Young presented Cassie with a box of greeting cards. I joined her at the schoolroom table and helped her select cards for the family. As she wrote hers, I picked one with a smiling girl wearing a red coat and matching muff.

"She looks a bit like you," my young companion remarked.

"Yes, a bit," I conceded, opening it. The inside verse read: 'Whatever is good, whatever is true, goes with my Christmas wish to you.' I signed it impulsively and addressed the envelope to Spencer. "May I have a stamp, Miss Young?"

"Certainly, Priscilla," the governess responded. "You know where I keep them."

"Thank you, Miss Young." I rose and approached the secretary in the corner. Taking a stamp, I pasted it onto the envelope. "I'll take it down now to go in this afternoon's post."

Cassandra remained at the table, shuffling through the box of cards while Miss Young wrapped her gifts. I noticed her folding a hand-knitted scarf she made for Mr. Blanchard. She stroked her hand lovingly across the soft lamb's wool and smiled tenderly.

I hurried downstairs to the great hall and placed my card in the mail bracket on the receiving table. The bracket contained slots for both the outgoing and incoming posts. Anne Marie had not yet picked up the new arrivals for delivery. Absently, I picked up the stack and rifled through it. Noticing Spencer's handwriting, I extracted his card and slipped it into my pocket. Turning, I began to retrace my steps but hesitated.

Withdrawing the envelope, I studied it, then swiftly replaced it with the other incoming letters. As I mounted the staircase, Anne Marie bustled into the hall. She quickly retrieved the mail and began sorting it. I ran upstairs before she noticed me and rushed into the schoolroom.

An hour passed before Anne Marie entered the nursery with the mail. She handed three envelopes to Miss Young and swiftly departed. The governess kept two for herself and gave one to Mr. Blanchard.

"Is there one for me, Miss Young?" I asked demurely.

"Not today, Priscilla," Claudia responded, slitting an envelope with a paper-knife. I received a card from Mama and Papa and one from my married sister in Western-super-Mare. She says she's pregnant again. The new baby will make five. Oh, I do hope she has a girl this time. They keep trying but haven't succeeded yet. Hilliard, uh—Mr. Blanchard—received a letter from his cousin in Australia."

"Oh." My brow furrowed. What happened to the card from Spencer? I wondered.

As I considered the question, Grayson popped into the schoolroom. I smiled at him, comforted by his presence.

"Thad and I are going for a sleigh ride," he announced, grinning from ear to ear. "We thought you and Cassandra might join us."

"Oh, can we, Miss Young?" Cassie asked, her face brightening.

"Yes, certainly," our teacher answered. "Dress warmly."

"We'll meet you downstairs." Gray bowed slightly and departed.