XI

Rain streamed down the nursery window when I woke up on the wedding morning. The overcast sky created a dismal omen for the upcoming festivities. I knelt in the window seat and watched the sheets of rain falling from the low-lying clouds.

"So much for sunshine and roses," Grayson declared, kneeling beside me. "It's just another typical English country day in June."

"Do you think they'll postpone the wedding due to the weather?" I questioned, hopefully.

"The wedding will go on as planned," Claudia Young remarked briskly. "I know I wouldn't postpone my nuptials because it rained." She exchanged a knowing glance with Hilliard Blanchard and entwined her hand in his palm.

"Oh." My shoulders fell in disappointment. I was not looking forward to participating in the wedding.

"Don't dawdle, youngsters." The governess clapped her hands together sharply. "You're expected at the wedding breakfast. Get cleaned up, put sunshine in your gloomy faces, and make your appearance whether you like it or not."

"Or not," I proclaimed hotly. "Why can't we eat up here? I don't wish to join the festivities."

"Because you're an Everstow, my dear," the tutor cut in. "You're a representative of a ranked family and must do your duty."

"Oh bother," I moaned, rising slowly. "Come along, Gray. Our duty calls...unfortunately." I swept through my bedroom door dramatically but halted when I came face-to-face with the dreadful chartreuse bridesmaid's gown. Following the wedding breakfast, I would have to finally don it and appear in public wearing the horrid thing. I longed to take a sharp knife to it, but that pleasure would have to wait until after the ceremony and reception.

I chose a simple gray skirt with a white shirtwaist and lace frill. I did not feel the desire to overdress for a simple family breakfast. Nevertheless, when I stepped into the small dining room, I felt drab compared to the Plumb sisters. The room seemed full of hoop skirts and leg of mutton sleeves. I edged in and found a place against the wall. I wished to become invisible.

On the other hand, Grayson appeared in his morning suit with a gray swallow-tailed jacket and pinstriped trousers. Beneath the jacket, he wore a bright purple waistcoat and the chartreuse cravat. He helped himself lavishly from the sideboard and then stood next to me.

"Aren't you eating?" he asked, daintily spearing his scrambled eggs.

"Hardly," I answered, my lips barely moving. "They could make room for you at the table."

"Too many Plumbs," Gray answered, eyeing the table where they sat eating and talking loudly.

With every word, Despina jabbed her fork at the person she addressed. Mr. Plumb and Horace spread multiple plates before them, and Bertha ate with her elbows propped on the surface. Charlotte perched in Joel's lap, pushing scrambled eggs into his gaping mouth. Hiding behind his newspaper, Papa sipped his coffee and ate buttered toast. After a quarter of an hour passed, I edged toward the door and made my escape.

Dispiritedly, I dressed in my bridesmaid's gown. Miss Young buttoned up the back, and I glared into the mirror. As I predicted, the bright chartreuse color washed out my light features. My shoulders sagged as I stared dejectedly at my image.

"Come now, Priscilla," my governess cajoled, "it's only for a few hours. You can manage, surely."

"I don't want to manage," I hissed angrily. "I don't wish to participate in this...this farce."

"I'm afraid you must," Miss Young stated encouragingly. "It will disappoint Joel if you don't join in."

Disappoint Joel? I wondered dismally. Why should I disappoint Joel when Joel has disappointed everyone? He was inconsiderate to impregnate that beastly woman and bring her to Everstow. I opened my mouth to protest, but Miss Young began brushing my long hair.