XIV

I hovered anxiously in the corridor outside Papa's study. The door remained firmly closed. When I pressed my ear against it, I could hear muffled voices but not understand the words. Early this morning, Spencer arrived in response to Papa's summons. I knew they discussed my future.

Spence monopolized my time during the four weeks following Joel's wedding. Under the watchful eye of Miss Young, we strolled around the summer garden arm-in-arm. With each passing day, we fell deeper in love.

Grayson stood beside me in the corridor. He seemed as anxious as I was to hear the results of the meeting. Would Papa say yes to Spencer's proposal, or would he claim my youth prohibited an early marriage?

"They're taking a long time, Priss," Gray stated, frowning.

"You don't think Papa will say no," I muttered tentatively. "Surely, he won't."

I pressed my back against the opposite wall and stared at the unyielding door. My mind willed it to open, revealing Spencer with a wide grin covering his beloved face. He would nod enthusiastically, and I would rush into his open arms. Nevertheless, the door remained firmly closed.

"Whatever are you two up to?" Miss Young asked, rushing along the hallway. "You've kept Mr. Blanchard and me waiting for ever such a long time. Now come along--your lessons won't wait all day."

"Aw, but Miss Young!" I protested, my eyes returning to the closed door.

"No 'aw, but Miss Young,' Missy," my governess remarked, hustling Gray and me toward the staircase. "Mr. Blanchard is waiting for your dance session. You have to prepare for your season."

"I won't have a season if Papa says 'yes,'" I rapidly countered. "Not that I wanted one."

"Nevertheless," Claudia Young stated, tapping her toe impatiently. "Come along."

Reluctantly, Grayson and I accompanied her along the corridor. We stepped onto the first riser when Papa's office door opened, and he called my name. I spun and ran toward him with Gray on my heels.

"Priscilla!" Miss Young chastised me, but I ignored her reprimand completely. "You'll never learn proper deportment." She sighed, shaking her head.

"No, I probably won't," I called back, turning toward her momentarily. She meant for me to walk sedately at all times, to conduct myself like a proper young lady.

"If you will step inside, Priscilla, please," Papa invited, pushing the door open wider. "I wish to discuss your future."

When Gray attempted to enter with me, Papa asked him to remain outside. Petulantly, my brother backed away and leaned against the far wall. Despite Miss Young's protests, he would stay there until I revealed Papa's response to Spence's proposal.

"Pray, be seated." My father offered me a chair in front of his massive oak desk. He moved to his chair and sat straight back. Spencer stood a step behind him, his hands clasped behind his back. "As you probably already know, Priscilla, the Viscount has asked for your hand in marriage."

I leaned forward, anxious for his answer. Spence smiled benignly without revealing his emotion. I waited in trepidation, my heart beating wildly.

"You are still quite young, my dear," Father continued, his mustache twitching slightly. "I might consider it a mistake to allow you to take this step while you continue to show signs of immaturity."

I sank back against the chair in defeat. Tears rushed into my eyes, but I held them back.

"Furthermore, the Lieutenant's regiment is preparing to leave for India in the coming months," Papa stated. "India, as you know, is quite unstable at the moment. You would either remain with his family here in England or travel with him to the Asian continent."