XXII

A cacophony of loud voices greeted me the following morning when I approached the dining room. I peeped around the door to discover the Plumbs devouring their morning meal. Since I hadn't expected them, their appearance surprised me. Spying Papa on the veranda, I joined him quickly.

"They arrived for the Christening," my father explained when I sat across from him. "It's planned for tomorrow morning."

"Do they intend to christen the baby Jesse?" I asked, my heart sinking.

"Apparently," Papa responded, his lips barely moving.

"Lottie stole that name from me, Papa," I explained, filling him in on the details. "She is doing it for spite, just to hurt me. I wish..."

My father waved me to silence. He did not listen to my lament. I expected he had too much on his mind for me to burden him with my problems. Charlotte hurt him as much as she hurt me. I swore never to share a secret with her again.

Papa and I sat silently in the autumn morning. Although a bit crisp, the colder weather held off, providing a perfect beginning to the day. I wished for continual peace. However, Lottie appeared pushing the baby in his pram. She plunked down beside me and lifted the newborn child into her arms.

"See what I did," she chortled, holding the baby beneath his arms and shoving him toward me.

My stomach tightened at her statement. A thick lump formed in my throat, and I nearly gagged on it. Focusing on the child, I noticed his resemblance to Joel. Wisps of soft brown hair surrounded his pinched face, and when he opened his eyes, they were Everstow eyes—sapphire blue. My heart softened toward him, and I looked at him in amazement.

"Are you going to take him or what?" Lottie shrilled, pushing her child into my arms. "Go on then, say hello to little Jesse Horace."

"I...I..." I stammered, my voice choking with unshed tears. I handed the baby back to Lottie and stood up. I rushed inside, running straight into Joel. He grasped my arms, stopping me. "I suggest you keep your wife away from me." Extricating myself from his hold, I yanked out of his grasp and ran up the stairs.

Unable to contain my emotions, I had a headache and refused to attend the christening ceremony. I could not, under the circumstances, listen without bursting into tears. I remained in my room until the Plumbs departed.

A few days passed before I emerged from my bedroom and joined Papa for breakfast. We ate our morning meal in silent companionship. I relished the peace until Bertha and Despina appeared. They helped themselves from the sideboard and plopped down at the table. My heart leaped into my throat.

"I think I will go up to Mama," I excused myself. I hadn't visited her since my return from Yorkshire. "She asked me to read 'Lady's Audley's Secret' before I left. She was quite interested in Mary Elizabeth Brandon's book. It's rather intriguing."

When Papa nodded his assent, I kissed him on the cheek and swiftly departed. Stopping in the library, I picked up the book and entered Mama's wing. A fire blazed beneath the mantle, and the room felt overly warm. My mother stretched across her chaise lounge and smiled at me welcomingly.

"I brought 'Lady Audley's Secret,' I exclaimed after greeting her. "Shall I begin?" I pulled a stool close to her and sat.

"In a moment, dearest," Mama stated, pulling herself into a sitting position. "I thought you would like to discuss your wedding plans first."

"Surely that can wait a bit, Mama," I responded noncommittally. "We have plenty of time."

"I assumed you might want to rush the details," my parent remarked, "all things considered."