XXIX

I awoke on Christmas morning to find Grayson sitting in the lotus position beside me. He grinned mischievously and produced a brightly wrapped package. I seized it and tore off the paper.

"Oh, Gray," I exclaimed, drawing out a delicate crocheted shawl. The pearl pink wool felt soft against my cheek. "It's lovely."

"I made it myself." My brother grinned from ear to ear. "Thad showed me how to crochet. I made one for Mama also."

"You crocheted it beautifully. Miss Young disdains my crocheting. I make more knots than weaves." I admired the handcrafted stitches. "I have something for you."

I drew a wrapped box from beneath my pillow. Grayson opened it and examined the burgundy cravat I'd selected for him at the local dry goods store. My brother flung his arms around my neck, and we kissed.

"Happy Christmas, good people," Thad cried, entering with a flourish. He handed me a gift and then crossed the corridor to wake Cassie.

"Oy!" We heard the girl shout from her bedroom. She appeared wearing a long white nightdress and a mob cap. "Ow dare you enter my chamber unannounced." Cassandra swatted Thad with an open palm.

"What a start to Christmas morning," Grayson's friend moaned, sinking onto my bed. He held both palms up beside his head while Cassie continued to swat him.

Gray leaped up and grabbed the girl around the waist. They struggled playfully until they tripped, landing on the bed. Thad intervened between them while I grabbed my pillow. I swung it, connecting with Grayson. He tugged at the other pillow and, swinging it back and forth, connected with both me and Cassie. Thad yipped and jumped free of the maylay when we hit him simultaneously. Miss Young yanked open the door and stared at us aghast.

"Of all the..." the governess exclaimed haughtily. "And on Christmas day!"

We halted in mid-palaver and ogled her innocently. Grayson placed his pillow on the mattress beside him and patted it gently. Thad backed up against the wall while Cassie and I untangled our bedclothes.

"Boys out!" Miss Young ordered, pointing menacingly toward the schoolroom door. Gray and Thad bowed their heads and marched through the door. Regaining our composure, Cassie and I sat on the edge of the bed with our hands clasped demurely in our laps. "You two know better."

"Yes, Miss Young," we sang in unison. "Happy Christmas, Miss Young."

"Happy Christmas, girls," the governess answered, backing out. When we began giggling, she reopened the door and stared at us until we regained our composure.

We dressed hurriedly and, bearing gifts, exited into the corridor. Grayson and Thaddeus awaited us. Forming a tight group, we walked sedately to Mama's suite and gently knocked on the door. Jane opened it promptly, ushering us in.

"Season's Greetings, Mama," Gray stated demurely. He approached the chaise lounge and, bending at the waist, kissed our mother's cheek. "May I present my companion, Thaddeus Blair."

Thad stepped forward and took Mama's outstretched hand. He held it and placed a gentle kiss above her pale knuckles.

"Pleased to meet you," Mama whispered, her voice slightly hoarse.

"The pleasure is all mine, Lady Everstow." Thad bowed again and took a step backward.

"You're acquainted with Cassandra, of course," I stated, drawing the girl forward.

"Ah, yes, Cassandra." Mother frowned, her brow furrowing. "Your...yes, I know who you are." I quickly realized she turned away because of Cassie's origins.

"Cassie and I are good friends, Mama," I remarked, pleading with my eyes. "She's doing well with her studies, and soon we will..."

"That's quite enough, Priscilla. You needn't elaborate." Mama lifted the bell beside the divan, summoning Jane.