XV

I found the door locked when I arrived at Mama's chamber the following morning. Raising my hand to pound upon it, I paused. Perhaps Jane could not diminish the upset Lottie had caused on the previous day. However, as I turned to walk away, Mama's personal maid appeared in the corridor.

"Charlotte arrived about a half hour ago. She's locked all the doors," Jane stated, frowning. "She brought up the breakfast tray, and they are dining tete-a-tete. I wasn't able to enter as usual."

"Oh dear," I sighed, surreptitiously staring at the locked door. "I wanted to speak to Mama about the bridesmaids. I suppose it will have to wait. Will you tell me when Mama is free?"

"Yes, certainly," the maid responded. "I'll come for you personally, Miss Priscilla."

Casting one more look toward the door, I strolled along the corridor. I hoped Lottie didn't cause another disturbance. Mama looked very frail following the previous day's incident.

Finding abundant free time, I decided to walk over to the vicarage. I discovered Dinah gathering roses in the garden and joined her. She clipped a pink rose and handed it to me.

"The Viscount is handsome," my cousin sighed. "You are fortunate, Priscilla."

"I am sure you will find yourself in happy circumstances one day." I smiled encouragingly.

"I suppose." Another sigh. "I expect I'll marry a curate, and someday we will have a church of our own. You do have all the advantages."

"Perhaps we'll find a different sort of husband for you," I remarked, taking the shears and cutting another blossom. I tucked it behind Dinah's ear. "I'm sure Spencer knows a lot of young men. We'll invite you to Yorkshire to stay for as long as you like. We'll entertain and invite all the eligible bachelors."

Petite and dainty, Dinah's appearance eclipsed my own. Her blond hair was in ringlets, and her crystal blue eyes sparkled like the first evening stars. I hated to think of her married to a curate and living as poor as a church mouse. In my heart, I knew she deserved better than her lot in life.

"I came to ask if you would act as my Maid of Honor," I stated, grasping her arm and smiling brightly. "Remember, we promised each other."

"Oh yes, we were quite young then, but I do recall," my cousin agreed, brightening considerably. "I am happy you remembered."

"Of course, I remembered!" I exclaimed, strolling toward the arbor seat. We sat next to each other beneath the honeysuckle trellis. "I wouldn't forget."

"If you go away..." Dinah began with trepidation.

"You call me, and I will come in a hurry," I exclaimed, hotly. "I promise you."

We lapsed into silence until Mrs. Bennett, the vicarage housekeeper, called Dinah for luncheon. My cousin invited me to join them, and I agreed. Together, we entered the dining room, and Uncle Everett joined us. I spoke to him about the ceremony and emphasized that Spencer and I would consult with him in the future.

"You wish for a traditional service, I assume," the vicar asked, dabbing his chin with his serviette.

"Oh, yes, certainly," I answered with alacrity. "I promise I won't make demands. You must not expect the unexpected."

"I am relieved, my dear." Uncle Everett smiled gratefully and reached for his tea cup.

"Miss Jane to see you, Miss Priscilla," Mrs. Bennett announced, entering the dining room briskly.

"Thank you, Mrs. Bennett," I replied, replacing my cream puff onto the tray. "Is she in the parlor?" I hurried to join my mother's personal maid.

"I'm very sorry, Miss Priscilla," Jane began nervously. "Young Mrs. Charlotte is still with Lady Everstow. Maggie Wills arrived with yards of yellow fabric. I thought you should know immediately."