XXIII

The following morning, I appeared at Mama's door before breakfast. The wedding situation could not remain unaddressed. I had to act firmly despite my mother's delicate condition. If I didn't, the problem would grow enormously.

Grasping the door handle, I thrust it open and entered. An infant's squalling greeted me. Jane stood by the bassinet with a baby bottle in her hand. Gently, she lifted young Jesse and began to feed him.

Mama sprawled on her divan, her filmy negligee encircling her like a cloud. She stretched out her hands for the baby. Jane gave him to her along with the bottle.

"Good morning, Priscilla," my mother called gleefully. She looked radiant. "It's a long time since we've had a little one in the family. Isn't Jesse delightful?"

"Yes, Mama," I responded dutifully, "but why are you looking after him? Where's Lottie?"

"Joel and Charlotte left on the London train early this morning," Mama explained, cooing at the newborn. "They're staying in the townhouse for a few weeks."

A shocked expression crossed my face. The baby was barely a few days old and required his mother's care and attention. Joel and Lottie flippantly left the child's care to Mama and her personal maid. I could hardly believe it. It seemed unnatural.

"But why have they left the baby?" I stammered, moving closer to the divan.

"Charlotte said she needed a break after the birth. The labor lasted more than thirty hours, Priscilla, dear," Mama explained, cuddling Jesse. "After such a prolonged period, the doctor suggested a cesarean. Lottie refused and finally succeeded in a natural birth."

"Oh," I stated blankly. "Surely, if Lottie needed a break, she should have taken Jesse with her."

"She should have hired a nurse," Jane interrupted briskly. "I expect, under the circumstances, she didn't consider it. Your Mama will explain the circumstances when Joel and Lottie return. A nurse first, then later a Nanny. We think Ann Marie will fit the role perfectly. Later, Miss Young will act as a governess. Eventually, Mr. Blanchard will become his tutor."

"Miss Young? But Miss Young intends to marry Mr. Blanchard when her duties here end," I exclaimed quickly. "Surely you realize they are in love."

"Marry? Oh, really, Priscilla," Mama chided, rebuffing my statement. "Surely, Miss Young isn't foolish. She is above thirty, after all. Romance has passed her by. She shall remain a governess throughout all her days."

"That is certainly unfair, Mama," I protested hotly. "Miss Young and Mr. Blanchard have waited an awful long time. Joel, Grayson, and I are grown, and they should have their freedom. If they wish to marry, they shall certainly."

"Jane has remained with me my entire life, my dear," my mother countered. "She has no intention to leave me and marry. Do you, Jane?"

"Indeed no, Mistress." Mama's companion bobbed a neat curtsey. "I wouldn't leave you if my life depended upon it."

"There," my mother stated confidently. "Miss Young, I am sure, feels the same way. She will remain dutiful to the family. It is the only position open to her."

"Well," I hmphed indignantly. "There's certainly more to life than serving other people's children. Perhaps Miss Young and Mr. Blanchard wish for their own family."

I plopped onto a nearby stool and frowned. As an invalid, Mama missed the reality of the situation. She never participated in family events and didn't see our interactions with each other. If my mother had lived an everyday life, she would have noticed the growing relationship between the governess and the tutor. Instead, she dismissed it and wove their lives through her imagination.